Little Machine Shop Drill Press
(06-10-2021, 05:13 PM)Vinny Wrote: You're trying to get the column on the head?

Head on the column. Just waiting for the pulley puller to arrive. Amazon keeps pushing the delivery time out so I likely won't get to it today.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Put the head on a bench, table, or floor upside down and insert the column into the head. Secure and flip it over. Or is that not doable?
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2021, 06:58 PM)Vinny Wrote: Put the head on a bench, table, or floor upside down and insert the column into the head.  Secure and flip it over.  Or is that not doable?

I wouldn't be able to lift it up onto the stand then. The park is like a ghost town, everybody has fled north to get out of the heat so nobody here to help me. I'll be able to get the head on the column once I get the motor off to eliminate some of the weight. I'm an old wussy so I have to do things smart not necessarily fast.

I'm kind of wishing I would have just gotten a floor standing drill press. HF has one with the same specs but is floor standing for the same price. Actually it would have been cheaper because I wouldn't have to pay the $76 shipping charge it cost me to get the Little Machine Shop model. Oh well, I'll make do with what I have for now.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2021, 05:13 PM)Vinny Wrote: Doesn't sand contain moisture?  Not sure I'd want that in the thin column.

I guess it depends on if you get your sand from the Sahara or at the beach.  Big Grin

I suppose you could even mix a little oil into it too if you wanted.  Chin

[Image: kilndriedsand.png]

A pressed metal drill press base? Seriously HF? [Image: attachment.php?aid=16913]

Ed, which is the 'thin' part? The column, the base flange or both?
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2021, 07:05 PM)EdK Wrote: I'm kind of wishing I would have just gotten a floor standing drill press. HF has one with the same specs but is floor standing for the same price.

Ed

OMG! I went to the HF web site and looked at that drill press. Then I looked at the pictures in their customer reviews. Now I have to ask...

How many of you guys have ever taken a drill press with you on a road trip, and set it up in your hotel room???  smiley_laughing   smiley_laughing   smiley_laughing

[Image: 2BB9970F20C92E5CC8B77ECADCD2D2B1.app1_16...L1800.jpeg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2021, 07:33 PM)Highpower Wrote: Ed, which is the 'thin' part? The column, the base flange or both?

Actually both but my biggest concern is the column. I can make a new base flange on the mini lathe, I think anyway. It's about 6" in diameter so it would be approaching the limits of the mini lathe. No way could I turn a new column on the mini lathe. It's about 30" long and 70mm in diameter. I may see if I can find some 70mm tubing with a thicker wall on eBay. The base is made of cast iron so it's OK as is.

Ed
Thanks given by:
The pulley puller arrived and of course the pointed screw that pushes on the end of the shaft while pulling the pulley off wouldn't fit the bore of the pulley. I had to cut down a 1/2" bolt to the right length to use as a spacer then it came of easy. I can already see a lathe project to fix that problem with the pulley puller.  Chin

The motor shaft is keyed but the pulley is not so they just used a set screw in the pulley to lock it into the keyway on the motor shaft.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2021, 08:09 PM)EdK Wrote: It's about 30" long and 70mm in diameter. I may see if I can find some 70mm tubing with a thicker wall on eBay. The base is made of cast iron so it's OK as is.

Ed

Yikes. I just looked at a piece of 2-3/4 DOM steel tubing with a 1/4" wall thickness 36 inches long. $88.00 plus shipping from Speedy Metals.
Is your current column steel or C.I.?
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-10-2021, 08:35 PM)Highpower Wrote: Yikes. I just looked at a piece of 2-3/4 DOM steel tubing with a 1/4" wall thickness 36 inches long. $88.00 plus shipping from Speedy Metals.
Is your current column steel or C.I.?

It's steel. Possibly stainless steel or chromed steel because it's quite shiny.

Ed
Thanks given by:
No review would be complete without the obligatory rust picture. At least it's located in a non functional place.

Ed

Thanks given by: