Todays Project - What did you do today?
Got the last GITs oiler installed. Pressed it in so the ball is below the surface of the cross slide so the compound slide won't hit it.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Need more storage space, who doesn't. Building a 20 x 29 foot timber framed three bay open shed. 
Started from the log. The posts are 6 x 6 white pine as are the tie beams. The beams that will support the rafters will be 6 x 10's, still need to finish sawing them.
Lots of whittling but once the parts are made it should go up in a day.

[Image: _J1YxY4uOLNhQdbZM4OaVqUwQTvrY7qgT90a5RSG...authuser=0]

[Image: 4yWwK5qRn-MP3EhONZ10tyZIigi4IIPy7nMfVJpU...authuser=0]

[Image: LSLSVkngnDfV8BX_RnSU-r4RdKRZr9t0ESSMivpe...authuser=0]

Used my sine plate and the surface grinder to sharpen my framing chisel. Works incredibly well.

[Image: 9D80MR7dOgmQp6NXPr2RzAA7NIqL7nsQ8DRnLExr...authuser=0]

Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Looks good Greg!  Thumbsup

Did you hand cut the mortises?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom
I use a forester bit to remove the bulk of the material then chisel them to shape.
Made go gauges to check them as I go. Will try and get a picture of them/
Makita makes a chain mortiser that clamps to the beam, would love to have one but boo coo dollars.

Greg
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Very nice.
Thanks given by: f350ca
I finally got around to installing a reversing switch on my 300mm disc sander. I somehow had a 6 position, 8-pole rotary switch amongst my stuff- don't have the slightest recollection of where it came from- and it took me a good while to figure out how to configure it as a reversing switch. Works like a charm and will dramatically improve the utility of the machine.

I also fitted a hook-and-loop system for the sanding disc; changing the disc without it was a major undertaking. I had to shorten the motor shaft in order to move the disc inward to create clearance for the extra thickness of the hook-and-loop to the edge of the table. Running the motor and resting a 5" angle grinder on the table made an easy job of it and achieved a tidy result.
One frustration with this machine is that I made the disc size 300mm; available sanding discs are 305mm / 12" so I have to cut around the edge when installing a new disc. Live and learn.
Lathe (n); a machine tool used in the production of milling machine components.

Milling Machine (n); a machine tool used in the production of lathe components.
Thanks given by:
Never heard of reversing a disc sander, Pete. What is the benefit?

Tom
Thanks given by:
(09-06-2021, 09:03 PM)TomG Wrote: Never heard of reversing a disc sander, Pete. What is the benefit?

Tom

It enables both edges of the disc to be utilised, for tasks like, for example, getting into inside corners. Otherwise you end up working on the upward-moving side of the disc and throwing the dust in your face.

Thanks given by:
Here's an example of the above, and the task I wanted the disc sander up to speed for; making patterns to cast the numbers for my new letterbox, the table of the sander is tilted upwards 5 degrees to provide draft as I take the timber back to the line of the template that is printed and glued onto the timber. Would be even nicer if the disc were razor thin so I could get all the way around, but it helps.

Thanks given by:
That makes sense.  Thumbsup

Perhaps you need to make a thin flange for the outer edge of the plate, so you can reach farther around, and use 12" sanding discs.

Tom
Thanks given by: