newbie with a atlas
"what iam looking to find out is i know iam missing a quick change"

tool post or gear box?

If the former your best source is probably Shars Tool. They have worked hard to improve their product line and it shows. BTW, I prefer the wedge type.

If you need gears instead of making them go to your industrial supplier who can source Boston Gear products. They should be able to ID which kind you need and buy the appropriate gear blanks. All you then need to do is bore the blanks and cut a key slot. Both of them can be done on the lathe even if the feed is not working. It would make it easier if you drill and ream the hole.
Thanks given by:
(01-01-2022, 09:40 PM)EdK Wrote: Welcome  to the forum.

Can you tell us the model number of the lathe?

Ed

101 28990 plate still on end of bed.

so the pdf highpower posted is the right manual for it. thank you very much for that info .

now to find out. the 4 jaw chuck i have needs back plate. thats measureed from diameter ?  iam guessing

Dr Stan. probley better for me anyways. to learn with.. iam not building parts for nasa lol .. i do have to make a wedge for it tho. it wasnt with it. then find a place to grab one of the wedge bit holders. no idea what you call it... but the stock that fits the horseshoe and holds cuttin bit. there are some bits ill have to post pic to see if they can be reground or reshaped or whatever is done with them

iam also guessing here. but this is a add on for maybe Valves ?

Thanks given by:
(01-03-2022, 08:16 PM)KB2WVO Wrote: now to find out. the 4 jaw chuck i have needs back plate. thats measureed from diameter ?  iam guessing

Dr Stan. probley better for me anyways. to learn with.. iam not building parts for nasa lol .. i do have to make a wedge for it tho. it wasnt with it. then find a place to grab one of the wedge bit holders. no idea what you call it... but the stock that fits the horseshoe and holds cuttin bit. there are some bits ill have to post pic to see if they can be reground or reshaped or whatever is done with them

Yes the back plate should match the diameter of the chuck you are mounting to it. It also needs to have the correct thread size and pitch to fit the threads on your spindle nose. New back plates often come oversized a bit so you can turn them down to match the chuck size.

What you have is known as a "lantern" style tool post. You would look for "lantern style" tool holders to slip into the slot on the tool post that your cutting bit will be clamped into. The 'wedge' you mention is called the rocker. It allows tilting the tool holder up and down as needed to get your cutting bit to the right height. The wedge Dr. Stan was referring to is for a different type of tool post that is often used to replace the older lantern style tool post.

And yes the tool post grinder you have there is for doing general outside grinding of shafts or other cylindrical work pieces. You remove the normal tool post and mount the grinder in it's place. It's for getting precision diameters and fine finishes. And yes it could be used for grinding valve surfaces as well.

Find yourself a copy of one of the numerous books titled  "How to run a lathe" and dive in.  Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-03-2022, 10:03 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(01-03-2022, 08:16 PM)KB2WVO Wrote: now to find out. the 4 jaw chuck i have needs back plate. thats measureed from diameter ?  iam guessing

Yes the back plate should match the diameter of the chuck you are mounting to it. It also needs to have the correct thread size and pitch to fit the threads on your spindle nose. New back plates often come oversized a bit so you can turn them down to match the chuck size.

What you have is known as a "lantern" style tool post. You would look for "lantern style" tool holders to slip into the slot on the tool post that your cutting bit will be clamped into. The 'wedge' you mention is called the rocker. It allows tilting the tool holder up and down as needed to get your cutting bit to the right height. The wedge Dr. Stan was referring to is for a different type of tool post that is often used to replace the older lantern style tool post.

And yes the tool post grinder you have there is for doing general outside grinding of shafts or other cylindrical work pieces. You remove the normal tool post and mount the grinder in it's place. It's for getting precision diameters and fine finishes. And yes it could be used for grinding valve surfaces as well.

Find yourself a copy of one of the numerous books titled  "How to run a lathe" and dive in.  Thumbsup

awsome info thank you. they gave me 2 books with the lathe. there in the truck but one is basic and indepth on how tos. been cold here so good reading weather lol

as for the lantern tool post name makes sense. and rocker makes sense bein it tilts or rocks .. ill have to google for them
is there any style bit for basic shaft diamater steel cut . carbon type? i seen a cheapo set for 20 bucks. iam sure not as good as 100 dollar bits. but good for learning maybe.

thats cool on the grinder. not sure if it works. need to go over it and see if any shorts. ill have to see about stones for it. probley goin to be very hard to find.
i have a 3 tooth chuck with plate. so no hurry for the 4 tooth.. iam guessing threads are per inch. ive seen 6 and 8 thread. so ill check on that.
Thanks given by:
Join one of the many Facebook groups selling used machinist equipment. Very likely that someone will have lantern style tool posts and parts for cheap. Now that you know what lathe you have, it should be easy to find parts.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2022, 08:59 AM)KB2WVO Wrote: thats cool on the grinder. not sure if it works. need to go over it and see if any shorts. ill have to see about stones for it. probley goin to be very hard to find.
i have a 3 tooth chuck with plate. so no hurry for the 4 tooth.. iam guessing threads are per inch. ive seen 6 and 8 thread. so ill check on that.

By the way, this item is a milling adapter that allows you to do some minor mill work on the lathe. It mounts on the tool post as well and serves as a height adjustable work vise for holding parts to be milled. A mill cutter is held in the spindle and used to make cuts in the part you clamp in the vise.

It is somewhat rare to have a spindle grinder or a milling adapter for a lathe anymore, much less having both of them. You got one heck of a deal on all that equipment! Color me jealous! Drool
Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2022, 11:29 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 08:59 AM)KB2WVO Wrote: thats cool on the grinder. not sure if it works. need to go over it and see if any shorts. ill have to see about stones for it. probley goin to be very hard to find.

By the way, this item is a milling adapter that allows you to do some minor mill work on the lathe. It mounts on the tool post as well and serves as a height adjustable work vise for holding parts to be milled. A mill cutter is held in the spindle and used to make cuts in the part you clamp in the vise.

It is somewhat rare to have a spindle grinder or a milling adapter for a lathe anymore, much less having both of them. You got one heck of a deal on all that equipment! Color me jealous!  Drool

ok thank you . i thought maybe it for holding a bit and able to come in a diff height. but i did get a mill bit. 
heres photo of the bit and iam guessing no idea what the other part is .. i have a bag of collits i know spelling isnt rite lol
there all diff sized. iam guessing for drill bits or anything else that will fit them for tooling.
there is one part the locking handle for tail stock on top. to lock the shaft in place on work. i found one place but i dont think they make them anymore. 50 bucks lil high for a handle with threads lol

Thanks given by:
(01-04-2022, 12:45 PM)KB2WVO Wrote: no idea what the other part is

That looks to be a steady rest.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(01-04-2022, 01:31 PM)EdK Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 12:45 PM)KB2WVO Wrote: no idea what the other part is

That looks to be a steady rest.

Ed

ok was wondering.. but i have to ask. as the word REST was used. or iam thinking the word is used in a diff way.
not that iam a english teacher..

this holds work or bits ? i havent seen a vid of it on utubers. tho i havent watch all of mr petes vids .
Thanks given by:
(01-06-2022, 11:38 AM)KB2WVO Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 01:31 PM)EdK Wrote: That looks to be a steady rest.

Ed

ok was wondering.. but i have to ask. as the word REST was used. or iam thinking the word is used in a diff way.
not that iam a english teacher..

this holds work or bits ? i havent seen a vid of it on utubers. tho i havent watch all of mr petes vids .

After looking at the picture again it's probably a follower rest. It does not hold work or bits. Take a look at this video showing a follower rest in use.

Ed

Thanks given by: