newbie with a atlas
(01-06-2022, 12:06 PM)EdK Wrote:
(01-06-2022, 11:38 AM)KB2WVO Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 01:31 PM)EdK Wrote: That looks to be a steady rest.

Ed

ok was wondering.. but i have to ask. as the word REST was used. or iam thinking the word is used in a diff way.
not that iam a english teacher..

this holds work or bits ? i havent seen a vid of it on utubers. tho i havent watch all of mr petes vids .

After looking at the picture again it's probably a follower rest. It does not hold work or bits. Take a look at this video showing a follower rest in use.

Ed

that makes perfect sences. it deflects the pushing so to keep cut even on long stock.
this one for sure needs lil work lol.. clean and bearings .

but thats down the road.

i found a vid on grinding bits. so that will work for learning. 
theres a blacksmith down the road from me. he has a nice metel shop.. few bucks in lathes and tools. ill have to go pick his mind when time comes. seems like a nice guy

thank you all tho for sure on info.. helps big time.
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2022, 03:52 PM)KB2WVO Wrote: i found a vid on grinding bits. so that will work for learning.

I hope it was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJhRtRR7rk
Smile
Willie
Thanks given by:
A lot of guys that have built steady and follower rests have used skate bearings. They're cheap on ebay and other places and seem to work well.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2022, 08:49 PM)Vinny Wrote: A lot of guys that have built steady and follower rests have used skate bearings.  They're cheap on ebay and other places and seem to work well.

Thumbsup
I keep a box full of those to replace the guide rollers on my band saw. It needs 6 of them!
Willie
Thanks given by:
Wink 
(01-07-2022, 08:03 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(01-07-2022, 03:52 PM)KB2WVO Wrote: i found a vid on grinding bits. so that will work for learning.

I hope it was this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvJhRtRR7rk
Smile

my holder isnt that big... hahahhaha

not it was this video. he calls himself This Old Tony...      but goin to watch your posted video. everyone does something diff. can always learn something from the videos. stake bearings mmm good idea. 

Thanks given by: