Inserts
Got the tool made for the 6-32 inserts. Works good. Got to learn to get the insert below the surface though.
Next I'll get the 4-40 tool made since I have a project ready for an insert.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Sweet. I can see that coming in handy for a lot of things.
Willie
Thanks given by:
The 5/16" MT-3 collet came in handy making the insert tools. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
Got the 2-56, 4-40 & 6-32 bits done. The 8-32 will need some changes to the design to make it work since the head is larger than the soldering iron ID.

Ed

Thanks given by:
I had to make the 8-32 insert tool a two piece item because the head wouldn't fit through the soldering iron sleeve.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Good work around!

Now just don't get it mixed in with your edge finders by mistake. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(07-07-2021, 04:37 PM)EdK Wrote: Got the 2-56, 4-40 & 6-32 bits done. The 8-32 will need some changes do the design to make it work since the head is larger than the soldering iron ID.

Ed
[Image: attachment.php?thumbnail=17179]

Ed, what brand of inserts did you buy? I have seen 2 different styles. One with a reduced 'pilot' on one end like yours or what looks a dog bone style with full diameter knurled ends on both sides. Have you tried any of those? I can see where the 'piloted' style would be easier to install, but I wonder if the dog bone type would be any more solidly held in place?  Chin

Bear in mind I am only thinking about replacing inserts that have been broken out vs. installing them fresh in a new housing. My only use would be for making repairs.
Your thoughts?

Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-31-2022, 11:37 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(07-07-2021, 04:37 PM)EdK Wrote: Got the 2-56, 4-40 & 6-32 bits done. The 8-32 will need some changes do the design to make it work since the head is larger than the soldering iron ID.

Ed

Ed, what brand of inserts did you buy? I have seen 2 different styles. One with a reduced 'pilot' on one end like yours or what looks a dog bone style with full diameter knurled ends on both sides. Have you tried any of those? I can see where the 'piloted' style would be easier to install, but I wonder if the dog bone type would be any more solidly held in place?  Chin

Bear in mind I am only thinking about replacing inserts that have been broken out vs. installing them fresh in a new housing. My only use would be for making repairs.
Your thoughts?

Willie,

I got the style with the reduced diameter at one end for the reason you suggested. Makes it easier to install straight. I'll post a picture of one of them so you can see that they also have ridges that go diagonally making them even less likely to pull out. I'll find the link to the eBay seller that I bought them from.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Here's the link to the seller that I bought mine from.

ebay Seller

And here's a picture of one of the type of inserts that I bought.

Ed

Thanks given by: Highpower
(01-31-2022, 12:42 PM)EdK Wrote: Willie,

I got the style with the reduced diameter at one end for the reason you suggested. Makes it easier to install straight. I'll post a picture of one of them so you can see that they also have ridges that go diagonally making them even less likely to pull out. I'll find the link to the eBay seller that I bought them from.

Ed

Ooooo.... I see that now. I like it! 6799

Thanks.
Willie
Thanks given by: