Latest Delivery
I've found Acetone or Nitromethane to be the most effective for me for softening cured Loctite.

Loctite sells the latter as LOCTITE 768 X-NMS™. Expensive, but still cheaper than buying a 5 gallon can from the local speed shop.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2022, 02:15 PM)Highpower Wrote: I've found Acetone or Nitromethane to be the most effective for me for softening cured Loctite.

Loctite sells the latter as LOCTITE 768 X-NMS™. Expensive, but still cheaper than buying a 5 gallon can from the local speed shop.

If I'd only known why it was stuck..
Model airplane fuel used to have nitromethane in it. That, methanol, and castor oil. No idea nowadays. Haven't flown an IC model since the sixties.
Thanks given by:
(04-09-2022, 09:26 PM)vtsteam Wrote: Model airplane fuel used to have nitromethane in it. That, methanol, and castor oil. No idea nowadays. Haven't flown an IC model since the sixties.

Yup. I had a .60 helo back in the 80's. Ran on about a 12% mix of nitro and methanol if I remember correctly.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Latest delivery:

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Well also this. No not the steady rest -- I cast and built that. The little metal muncher on the left who will not get out of the way of a camera. Darlene.

She's a rescue dog, supposedly a cross between a Catahoula Leopard dog and an errant dachshund. Frankly, I think she was switched at birth and seems more like half Rottweiler and half Chihuahua. She's murder on a chew toy. Shakes it like a rat. 6 pounds of danger.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
I'll second the loctite fix. I've redone crank pulleys on cars with messed up keyways by thorough cleaning and using the stuff. Never had a failure, but wouldn't want to try to get it off again. I'm talking high revving engines used in autocross, so about as stressful an application as it gets.

As to those chineseium boring bars, I have a secret weapon: the diamond machinists here at work. They have sharpened and reground bits for me that I thought were hopeless. Even the cheap harbor fright stuff works well with the right angles and a good cutting edge. I give them pens and bottle openers as bribes.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
I've looked at this mini lathe spider that Little Machine Shop sells a number of times but the $75 price put me off. This week the special was the spider at $20 off so I jumped on it. It's made in the USA so it should be a nice tool. It is nicely made except for burrs on the screw holes where the screws penetrate the collar. Easy enough to fix but I shouldn't have to. The other thing that is more of a "WTF" is that they used metric socket head cap screws. I've got nothing against the metric system but was surprised that they used them on this made in the USA tool. At least they're screws equivalent to grade 8 screws, 12.9, and not Chinese cheese screws.

Ed

Thanks given by:
(05-24-2022, 10:10 PM)EdK Wrote: I've looked at this mini lathe spider that Little Machine Shop sells a number of times but the $75 price put me off. This week the special was the spider at $20 off so I jumped on it. It's made in the USA so it should be a nice tool. It is nicely made except for burrs on the screw holes where the screws penetrate the collar. Easy enough to fix but I shouldn't have to. The other thing that is more of a "WTF" is that they used metric socket head cap screws. I've got nothing against the metric system but was surprised that they used them on this made in the USA tool. At least they're screws equivalent to grade 8 screws, 12.9, and not Chinese cheese screws.

Ed

Make one you lazy sod  Rotfl

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/attachment.php?aid=10918
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2022, 01:00 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Make one you lazy sod  Rotfl

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/attachment.php?aid=10918

Big Grin I've got enough projects already.

Ed
Thanks given by:
They prolly used metric screws 'cuze most, if not all, mini-lathes are metric and come with a set of metric hex tools. Or the metric screws were cheaper ...
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by: EdK