Silver soldering BS blades or Carbide?
Saw a thread on the "other" forum about Bandsaw blade welding.
(I don't loggin anymore, honest Angel, just lurk, I found that most of my contributions were either sarcastic or confrontational.)
Anyway, there was this link to a blade silver soldering jig <http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... 41048&ap=1>.
Aside from the fact that making a better jig would certainly within the scope of ANY of us, I got to wondering if that ribbon silver solder, which is prolly flux coated, would be any good for attaching carbide to brazed holders that had had their original chipped or broken carbides removed?
Anyone have any experience? I've always been curious about that ribbon braze/silver solder stuff.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
HI well i have made sum of my tooling and all the tips are silver soldered on i will post sum pics tonight i have seen a fue post on silver soldering band saw blades i have in given sum for my band saw witch they are too long for so I'm gowning to cut them and rejoin them and do a post on them to.
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I've used bronze welding rod to fix old carbide inserts on made up boring bars. Worked ok but hard to hold the carbide in position. Wonder what the ribbon alloy would be, might be low temp and melt when cutting, but sure would be easier to keep things aligned when heating.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Is it called Sil-fos or somesuch? Seems to me they use phosphorous in the alloy, making it self fluxing on COPPER. It's used in the refrigeration industry. Dis-similar metals are joined with regular silver solder and flux. I wouldn't expect the ribbon to work at all, but one never knows..Chin
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2012, 08:46 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: Is it called Sil-fos or somesuch? Seems to me they use phosphorous in the alloy, making it self fluxing on COPPER. It's used in the refrigeration industry. Dis-similar metals are joined with regular silver solder and flux. I wouldn't expect the ribbon to work at all, but one never knows..Chin

Sil Fos still needs flux when used on dissimilar metals.

a lot of gunsmiths use the ribbon because you can put it in between parts like sight bases and the barrel so when you heat it to melting point you don't end up with a solder line showing.

They also make a paste that you can use,

I use Safety Sil 45 from Harris welding supplys along with the proper flux it has a really high melting point and won't turn the carbide loose from machining heat, unless the bit gets hotter then 1650 F.

the Ribbon still has to have flux added to the joint.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Steve,

I think most carbide inserts are furnace brazed, so flux isn't required. I have used silver solder ribbon before with a torch and it works pretty well, but wire solder works well too. It's just a little tougher to keep the solder precisely where you want it.

I have been soldering my band saw blades lately as well with success. I have a basic fixture for aligning it and plan on doing a little re-design to make it more user (me) friendly. I still need to come up with a fixture to taper the ends, I'm just eyeballing it now.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the response guys, I've often brazed bandsaw blades on my homemade jig but I've not had success putting a rod to a carbide bit without disturbing the lttle carbide piece. Maybe I need to make a jig to hold the carbide? I just thought that slipping a piece of that "ribbon" under would work.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(07-12-2012, 03:54 PM)stevec Wrote: Thanks for the response guys, I've often brazed bandsaw blades on my homemade jig but I've not had success putting a rod to a carbide bit without disturbing the lttle carbide piece. Maybe I need to make a jig to hold the carbide? I just thought that slipping a piece of that "ribbon" under would work.

Maybe a block with a slot and set screws to hold the shank and a small toggle clamp to hold the carbide in place? Just thinking out loud.
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
HI don't no if i have posted this tip before on hear mack up sum silver solder past get a large peace of clean paper a sheet of news paper is OK and get a clean file and file sum silver solder rod once you think you have filed a nuff of the rod on the paper get a clean container to put the filings in to next thing is to save all them little bubble packs you get tablets in give them a good clean gnaw mix up sum solder flux then put in the silver solder filings and mix well then get the bubble packs and put sum silver solder mix in each don't fill right to the top get a anther container and mark it up well then put the bubble packs in side of that then put the container in the freezer's then when you want sum solder just pop out 1 or 2 of the frozen tablets they will defrost Farley rapidly
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the tip Bob
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: