Kondia FV-1 x-feed gearbox questions
The x-feed motor on the mill I bought has burn out and given the flange and length of the shaft, I decided to get it rewound. In order to remove the motor from the gearbox, I had to get to worm gear off the shaft, which necessitated stripping out the whole gearbox. Turned out well in the end, as the thrust bearing was shot and the other bearings had seen better days. The alignment also needed some attention.

Well it is all back together and I have a couple of questions. The filler is about an inch above the bottom of the gearbox, meaning that only the two lower shaft bearing and the thrust bearing would be constantly lubricated. Is this normal, or is this actually a drain hole?

Second, the bevel gear on the output shaft has 4 holes spaces evenly around the hub, which had a ball and spring in each, with the spring between the ball and the shaft. I cannot see the purpose of these and as they were virtually impossible to get them back in they are still sitting on the bench. Can anyone enlighten me?

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Mayhem, Is that bevel gear keyed to the shaft? if not the balls and springs might be a clutch.
What is the make/model of the mill.
My TREE mill has some kind of clutch on the x feed and it makes a snap! snap! sound when I run to the end of the table travel.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve - The gear is keyed to the shaft. It is a Kondia Powermill (1969 or 1970) model.
Thanks given by:
I shoulda figured you wouldn't be putting it back together minus a primary drive medium.
Now, I too, wonder what they were for.
I'll try not to loose sleep over it Smile
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Rickabilly on H-M has helped me figure it out. There is a stepped hub pressed into the gear, which is obviously gummed up. Next weekend I will press the centre out of the gear, clean it up and then reinstall the gear. I will take pics and post them.
Thanks given by:
I managed to press the hub out of the bevel gear. On inspection, the hub was stuck due to the bur that had been caused by the clutch slipping. After I removed the burr, the hub was able to be pressed and and out by hand. Now all I need to do is get some gear oil and test it.

An ultrasonic cleaner is great for this sort of thing. This belongs to a mate but conveniently lives in my workshop :)

Wear from the balls:

A few pics of the gear and hub:

Back together and ready to be pressed back on the shaft:

Thanks given by:
Well I finally got around to getting some oil and putting the x-feed gearbox/motor back on. I wired the motor directly to an switchable 32A 3 phase feed and turned her on. I was met with a clicking noise and the gear level twitching in time to the clicks. So, I dropped the power and took off the front panel (which holds the hi/lo selector). The oil level sits below the bottom edge, so that was a bonus and when I powered her up again, I was surprised not to see oil splashing out.

With the gears running, I was able to see the problem, the gear that engages the driveshaft is not meshing with the gears, so it is being forced out. This is causing the handle to twitch and the clicking noise (which is the collision of teeth as the gear slips).

Teeth engagement with the power off:

Teeth engagement with the power on:

If I hold the gear lever so as to force the gear engagement it works fine but as soon as I let go it slips. I was hoping the shaft holding the gear was eccentric but it isn't.

There is a screw that tightens against the shaft but this is just to stop it from spinning whilst you are trying to tighten the nut that holds it all in place (note the flat on the shaft).

The brass housing that the selector gear rides on is keyed to the selector handle, so it cannot easily be rotated.

One thought was to plug the hole and move it over a few thou. Any thoughts or comments?
Thanks given by:
I took a video to show the problem I am faced with, as I know my description leave a bit to the imagination. Mind you, compared to my filmography skills, my description rocks!!!
Thanks given by:
What's the linkage between the selector handle and the brass housing? could it be modified to provide adjustment?
Also how come one has to log on in order to view the video?
Thanks given by:
The selector handle is keyed onto the brass housing, so there is no easy means of adjustment. I have no idea why you have to log in to view the video. This is my first upload to YouTube. I'll see if there is something in the settings that I have missed.
Thanks given by: