My Porter-Cable Shaper Restoration
A pretty easy resto/cleanup of a working shaper that had sat unused in a garage for years. Oilers missing, two broken off grease fittings, Fortunately the vari-speed, and ratchet pawl were also ok.
Oh yes, too small a motor, and it was running backwards, and was wired with house wireing. But nothing serious.

.avi   PICT0662.AVI (Size: 2.77 MB / Downloads: 15)

.avi   PICT0666.AVI (Size: 2.35 MB / Downloads: 8)
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2012, 09:06 AM)sasquatch Wrote: A pretty easy resto/cleanup of a working shaper that had sat unused in a garage for years. Oilers missing, two broken off grease fittings, Fortunately the vari-speed, and ratchet pawl were also ok.
Oh yes, too small a motor, and it was running backwards, and was wired with house wireing. But nothing serious.

Hi
This machine looks very good. The restoration is well done. The replacement off the oilers can not be a problem. Smiley-signs107

Backwards running of the motor is only a small wiring problem. When it is a 2 phases you must reconnect the condenser. When it is a 3 phases motor you have only to swap two wires.

Gerard Smiley-eatdrink004
Thanks given by:
Very Nice. Wish mine looked that good. Great looking vice too.
Thanks for the photos.
Oh by the way we'll give the standard your shop looks too clean.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
When you said Porter Cable shaper, I expected to see a wood shaper. I didn't realize that Porter Cable made a metal shaper.

Nice job on the resto and GREAT pics. Thumbsup

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(12-04-2012, 11:29 AM)TomG Wrote: When you said Porter Cable shaper, I expected to see a wood shaper. I didn't relaize that Porter Cable made a metal shaper.

Tom

Smiley-signs009
Thanks given by:
Thanks everyone, and special thanks to Ed for getting the pics posted here for me.

Re: Porter Cable,, according to my research on this, Porter cable built machines such as this, then the company was sold to Logan, i think in 1947.
Gerard- i switched out a very ancient motor on it, that was only 1/4 HP, specs said it came with a 1/2HP, so i installed a 1/2 HP
In the pics there is a cast rear cover over the drive that i didn't install, due to wanting to test run it first. It will be installed today.
The louvered door on the base is not original, it just had a metal plate with 4 bolts holding it, which i thought was a pain to access the motor etc, so i had that louvered door that was a perfect fit in width, just had to cut 2 inches off the height. Much nicer now with access to the motor/belts etc.
The test run produced nice results in aluminum that i tried first, now i will be trying some steel, facing, a key way for sure, things like that.
Runs nice and quiet. Thanks again.
Thanks given by:
Nice job on the door, my 8 in Logan has the louvered plate, pain to get at the belts as you say.
May have to tear mine apart and check the bushings in the variable speed drive, mine is anything but quiet.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, If you check my round access door on the side there are four small holes that held a tag/tags, one tag was at the top, the other at the bottom half.

Does your'e logan have these two tags, Trying to find the info of what the tags had on them for this Porter Cable shaper. ?
Thanks given by:
Do you mean the door to access the stroke length? Will check tomorrow, never noticed any tags, but never have had it apart, just did some repairs on this and that.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Sorry . yes the round door to the stroke access. Thanks
Thanks given by: