Micrometer types
(04-11-2015, 07:16 PM)DaveH Wrote: Ed,
I don't think there is much wrong with your micrometer, it seems just a little lose. There is usually a small threaded collar inside that will allow it to be tightened slightly.
Smiley-eatdrink004 
DaveH

Dave,

I never said there was anything wrong with it. It probably functions as designed. I'm just not liking the way it works. Just like some people prefer the friction thimble and some prefer the ratchet thimble. It's just a matter of preference.
I could not find any collar to adjust. Unless you have to disassemble it to get to said collar.  17428

It's actually a decently made micrometer so I wish I could learn to like it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2015, 07:26 PM)EdK Wrote: I could not find any collar to adjust. Unless you have to disassemble it to get to said collar.  17428

Ed

Has to be disassembled - just unscrew it.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(04-11-2015, 07:40 PM)DaveH Wrote:
(04-11-2015, 07:26 PM)EdK Wrote: I could not find any collar to adjust. Unless you have to disassemble it to get to said collar.  17428

Ed

Has to be disassembled - just unscrew it.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

OK, I'll give that a shot.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Found the collar and adjusted it. World of difference. I'll run it through its paces tomorrow when I continue with my nut construction.

Thanks Dave!

Ed
Thanks given by:
Keep your eyes open and your wallet full for a deal on the Mitutoyo 293-336 digital electronic one like your 0-1" 293-348.

If my 293-345 1-2" with the ratchet thimble wasn't such a great deal, that 293-336 is what I would have.
Thanks given by: EdK
(04-11-2015, 08:17 PM)PixMan Wrote: Keep your eyes open and your wallet full for a deal on the Mitutoyo 293-336 digital electronic one like your 0-1" 293-348.

If my  293-345 1-2" with the ratchet thimble wasn't such a great deal, that 293-336 is what I would have.

This seems to be about the cheapest.

http://www.amazon.com/Mitutoyo-293-345-3..._title_def

I think I'll have to make do with what I have for now.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I put together a set of S/H Starrett 436 metric mics covering 0 - 200mm. One doesn't have a lock on it but it doesn't bother me, as I take the reading before I remove the mic from the part. Come to think of it, I tend to do that with those that have locks on them as well.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2015, 03:20 AM)Mayhem Wrote: I put together a set of S/H Starrett 436 metric mics covering 0 - 200mm.   One doesn't have a lock on it but it doesn't bother me, as I take the reading before I remove the mic from the part.  Come to think of it, I tend to do that with those that have locks on them as well.

For those micrometers I have without locks or electronic displays, that's what I do most often.

One of the myriad features of the Mitutoyo Absolute digital electronic micrometers which dearly love is that "Hold" button. Get the micrometer touching just right, thumb that button and loosen the thimble to remove it from the work. Your reading is still there. Hit the Hold button again and you're back to direct reading.

Life is good. Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
(04-12-2015, 03:20 AM)Mayhem Wrote: ...  One doesn't have a lock on it but it doesn't bother me, as I take the reading before I remove the mic from the part.  Come to think of it, I tend to do that with those that have locks on them as well.

That's easy to do with the electronic micrometers but not so easy with vernier micrometers. Or maybe I'm just unskilled at reading them.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Use the lock most of the time. Rather than going by the feel of the load on the spindle, i'll get what appears to be the measurement then close the mic maybe a half thou and feel the drag as I slip it over the shaft.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: