Flip Up Threading Tool
Per an PM request, my version of a flip up threading tool

Let me start off my saying like many tools, this isn't a perfect tool, but t does work, for what I use it for. Like many tools because it works in one application, doesn't mean it will work in all applications.

In some of the repairs that I do for work, the threads have a tendency to be coarse (10 tpi or coarser), which are a PITA to do, this tool has made it easier. When threading with this tool, I don't release the carriage from the lead screw, just reverse the lathe. I don't back out the compound or carriage, when the lathe is reversed, the tool flips up and ride to the end of the work piece, then drops bad down.

The tool is simple a modified AXA tool holder, a modified Grizzly (G7030) carbide tip threading tool, an alignment pin and a pivot bolt.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

jack
Thanks given by:
Interesting tool Jack. I'd love to see a video of it in action.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hi
Jack
I have been going to do one of these for ages
Nice desighn using a tool holder
Thanks for posting
John
Thanks given by:
I think I just found what I need to do with hunk of steel that I cut a dovetail in so that it would fit on my toolpost and never did anything with it.

nice setup

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the post Jack. I was wondering how you flipped it up and now I know.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Again, nice piece of work, interesting stuff!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Good stuff Jack Thumbsup Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
How critical is the fit between the guide pin and the slot? Placement looks tough, what would you think of a guide plate screwed to the side instead?
Thanks given by:
(12-09-2012, 12:55 PM)Sunset Machine Wrote: How critical is the fit between the guide pin and the slot? Placement looks tough, what would you think of a guide plate screwed to the side instead?

The guide pin is there to stop the tool end from flopping around like a salmon out of water, the pin was turned down to about .122" and the slot is from a single pass of a 1/8" carbide end mill.

Since the tool bit has to move up and down and not side to side, as long as the plate stopped (limited) side to side movement, it should work.
jack
Thanks given by:
I think a side plate witha curved slot could have a neat little button head screw in it and be adjusted to keep the tool from "flopping around" but it seems to me like the difference between 6 and a half dozen.
Neat device jack, thanks, another item on the never ending "to do " list.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: