Steel to Cast with mig repair
We obtained some new (new to us) equipment at work. A shop closed down in the city and we got another drill press, a brake and shear. Well, while waiting for a manual on the brake and shear, I decided to start looking over the drill press. It is a clone to the Clausing we have now, a nice big machine. I noticed the hand crank for the table elevation handle was broke off. Most of it was there, when they loaded it they must have caught it on something, breaking off the lug that the handle is mounted to.
So, I decided to make a new lug and handle, and weld it on the cast iron crank that was remaining. Now, Ive read about mig welding cast etc....never tried it. I have only repaired cast with O/A brazing, with fair success, I think sometimes I over heat it and the braze dont want to stick, but usually do ok.
Now, I have another reason for wanting to use mig. I have a Johnson bandsaw Im working on at home and need to weld the gash in the table and I dont have my torches at my shop yet, still in storage. So I figure Ill give this a shot
Here are the photos: the lug welded on, then smoothed out with a flap wheel, then the handle I made thats threaded in the lug with a set screw on the back side of the lug, I used a bolt to make the screw and cut the slot in it with the shaper. It welded ok, had the wire speed up a little more than I should have, no pre/post heat, did peen it a little. Now, lets see if it holds lol...........
[Image: 2012-12-12_08-02-40_520.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-12_08-02-47_10.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-12_08-14-31_484.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-12_11-16-40_18.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-12_11-21-08_449.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-12_11-21-18_994.jpg]
monkers, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Nov 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice work!! That is great!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thank you, I dont have a radius attachment to make a fancy handle.....and they would b*tch at work if I spent too much time on it, they would just use vise grips!Bash
Thanks given by:
Pretty nice lookin' weld for cast iron!
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks stevec, it sounded like crap while welding, sounded like there was dirt in it or something, but no porosity. Like I said , this was the first Ive tried this method. I need to weld the "gash" on my model B Johnson saw, and I seen where another guy used mig to do so, so Im gonna give it a shot.......lol
Thanks given by:
I've found that whilst cast can be welded with a mig, it hasn't lasted too long. Most repairs I have brazed, although I did by some rods for my arc welder but they were expensive and a pain in the butt to use. I pre-heat cast before hand.

Bob posted about some repairs he has done with a dedicated cast wire for mig. Detail on the wire is in post #4
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
This was my first attempt and is a bit of an experiment, curious to see if it holds
Thanks given by:
Monkers,
Very nice job and nicely finished as well Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
The weld looks very good
Depends on the grade of cast iron
I have pre heated used the propper rods cooled slowly and the job still cracked
I prefer brazing now for cast repairs
I once mig welded a exhaust manifold in position it was very hot from the engine running , as soon as it was welded we started the engine up in an attempt to cool it slowly
As far as i am aware it is still good
John
Thanks given by:
thanks doubleboost!!
Thanks given by: