How to Hand Sharpen a Twist Drill
Very good presentation Tom.

I have always sharpened my drills by hand, took some practice, but a nice feeling to start drilling and watch both curls comming out.

This SHOULD be a priority for everyone to learn.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom, I was referring to the angle of lip, as opposed to the point angle. You said in the video that it shouldn't be flat and that it needs relief to cut rather than rub (and then the clearance angle is ground behind that). What is the initial lip relief angle that you are grinding when working the 59º point angle?

Sorry - I'm probably not explaining this very well. Perhaps this will help.

.jpg   ch_point.jpg (Size: 33.09 KB / Downloads: 93)
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Now it looks like I was the one in the rush. You did specify cutting edge angle. That is a common issue with hand sharpening and I actually mentioned it in the video Big Grin). I generally use 3-5º for that angle.

BTW, I just realized that the last part of the video dealing with the chisel point was cut off so I deleted the video and am reloading it. As soon as it's up, I'll edit the thread and update the link.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Wondered what happened to it!! Lol
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
hi well this tip was past on to me from jb3ex peter as to the angel of the drill point put two inch nuts together ie on the flats and you will have a gage for the cutting angel of the drill bit
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: EdK
Hmm, the video doesn't seem to want to run for me. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-17-2012, 04:28 PM)EdK Wrote: Hmm, the video doesn't seem to want to run for me. 17428

Ed

Yeah, Youtube is being a pain. It keeps cutting off the last couple minutes of the video. I'll try uploading it AGAIN.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Or me Chin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
OK, it should be good to go. The first three uploads stalled at 10:01 for reasons beyond my comprehension. Chin

Tom
Thanks given by: EdK , Mayhem
(12-17-2012, 10:33 AM)TomG Wrote: Now it looks like I was the one in the rush...

What do they say about imitation being the sincerest form of flattery?

Thanks for sorting out the video Tom, I found the missing part very interesting. Would like to see a close up of the notch you ground to thin the web if possible.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: