How to Hand Sharpen a Twist Drill
How small of a drill bit can you sharpen using this method?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2012, 10:07 AM)EdK Wrote: How small of a drill bit can you sharpen using this method?

How good are your eyes? How steady are your hands?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2012, 10:17 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(12-18-2012, 10:07 AM)EdK Wrote: How small of a drill bit can you sharpen using this method?

How good are your eyes? How steady are your hands?

That's what I thought would be the answer. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
I'd venture that if you sharpen a .500" drill with an 8" grinder you should sharpen a .050" drill with a .800" grinder. No? Chin
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve: The smaller drill require a fine grit aluminum oxide wheel. The diameter doesn't matter, but you need to be able to dress a razor sharp corner on it. I used to use a cup wheel on an engraving cutter grinder to do the small stuff. When my eyes were younger I could sharpen a .050" drill by eye, but those days are long gone.

Darren: Ask and ye shall receive. This is the actual drill that I sharpened in the video. Not bad, considering that most of it was done by feel. Blink

Tom

[Image: 003_1.JPG]

[Image: 004_2.JPG]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: Mayhem , EdK
Thanks for this Tom, great photography!!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2012, 01:25 PM)TomG Wrote: Steve: The smaller drill require a fine grit aluminum oxide wheel. The diameter doesn't matter, but you need to be able to dress a razor sharp corner on it.
Thanks Tom, I didn't realize that. Rolleyes
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2012, 01:25 PM)TomG Wrote: Steve: The smaller drill require a fine grit aluminum oxide wheel. The diameter doesn't matter, but you need to be able to dress a razor sharp corner on it.

Tom

Tom,

You answered both of my questions about sharpening small bits. The grit needs to be finer and the edge of the wheel needs to be sharp.

Thanks!

Ed
Thanks given by:
Tom,
A very useful video, nicely done Thumbsup Smiley-signs107 Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: