Expanding Reamers
A few years ago when I was cleaning out my Dad's workshop, I found a box of expanding reamers and a set of screw on extension pilots. I didn't think too much about them, as I had never used reamers before and knew very little about them. So, I put them away and forgot all about them, until I needed to use one last week.

I selected the suitable one, figured out how to adjust it and put it to use. I think the most time consuming part was cleaning it up before using it. So today, I set about stripping down the entire set, cleaning them up and the box they came in.

To me the pilots look like clutch alignment tools and I imagine that they are used for line reaming operations. The threads on the pilots match those on the reamers but they will not screw on if the reamer is set in its lower range. Should you remove the bottom nut in this case and screw the extension tube on? There are rings for each size extension tube, which have an internal taper that matches that on the nut. My guess is that this takes place of the nut to hold the blades when the extension tube is fitted.

One of the reamers is missing a blade but the others all appear to be sharp. They are T & J brand, out of the UK and are designated as type B47 (whatever that means). I'll do a search for them, as it will be interested to see if replacement blades are available. The set covers 15/32" through to 27/32", with each having a 1/16" capacity. The pilots are the same brand. There was also a S. T & G reamer, made here in Australia which is 27/32" - 15/16".

Some pics:

Edit: to correct a typo
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I have a few adjustable reamers, they were common for wrist pins in pistons. Some have 5 or 7 blades, without a reamer mic (think that was what they were called in our micrometer discussion) you have to do a test run then adjust.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I used a similar set for car king pins & spring shackle bushes as an apprenticeDroolDrool
They gave me many hours of pain JawdropJawdropJawdrop
John
Thanks given by:
Mayhem, that is a very nice looking set. Should be good quality!! Nice Find!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the comments.

Greg - since these have six blades, I just used a standard mic to set it but five and seven blades would require a V-anvil micrometer. Perhaps that is why they chose six blades.

John - was the hours of pain related to setting them to size?

Well I have found out that the company who made them is Taylor and Jones, and they are based in Huddersfield, UK. They have some good info on their web site.

They make two types of adjustable reamer: Type B33 for ferrous material and B47 (which I have) for non-ferrous material. New blades are available for them and the extension pilots are used in the manner I thought they were.
Thanks given by:
(12-22-2012, 07:55 PM)Mayhem Wrote: Thanks for the comments.

Greg - since these have six blades, I just used a standard mic to set it but five and seven blades would require a V-anvil micrometer. Perhaps that is why they chose six blades.

John - was the hours of pain related to setting them to size?

Well I have found out that the company who made them is Taylor and Jones, and they are based in Huddersfield, UK. They have some good info on their web site.

They make two types of adjustable reamer: Type B33 for ferrous material and B47 (which I have) for non-ferrous material. New blades are available for them and the extension pilots are used in the manner I thought they were.

It was winding blunt reamers through cheap under size bush kits
Happy days
John
Thanks given by:
Oh that does sound like fun John!
Thanks given by: