plasma cutting tank
Hi,

I'm thinking about building a tank over which I can use a plasma cutter. My question is what is the ideal distance from the cutting torch to the surface of the water? Although I've worked nearly forty years as a metal worker, I've never seen a plasma table with a water tank!

Regards, Matthew
mattinker, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
When you figure it out let me know, hope to use a water table with the CNC plasma Im building. It looks like they keep the water pretty close, to over the metal on the commercial ones
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2013, 07:08 PM)f350ca Wrote: When you figure it out let me know, hope to use a water table with the CNC plasma Im building. It looks like they keep the water pretty close, to over the metal on the commercial ones
I just found a clip, it looks like the metal is sitting on the water!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFT__gESOfc

Regards, Matthew
Thanks given by:
I didn't think the water table was required for stuff under 3/8"?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
It makes a neat sound with the jet or air bubbling in the water. Wonder what the green additive is? Antifreeze would stink and be a sticky mess.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
the water is to help keep the dust down, and to help quieten the noise of the big torches which can be really loud. nothing like the sound of a 1000 amp torch cutting 4 to 6 inch thick plate.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(01-10-2013, 08:07 PM)stevec Wrote: I didn't think the water table was required for stuff under 3/8"?

I'm interested in cutting down the smoke and fumes, especially for stainless! I got a bad head ache cutting stainless this summer! Can't be good for you!

Regards, Matthew
Thanks given by:
Matthew,

Check out Keith's series on building his plasma cam system. It may give you some insight. He made his fume system and water tray height adjustable.

Unfortunately, I barely have enough room to store my plasma cutter much less a cutting table. Sadno

Willie
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2013, 09:16 AM)Highpower Wrote: Matthew,

Check out Keith's series on building his plasma cam system. It may give give you some insight. He made his fume system and water tray height [i]adjustable

Unfortunately, I barely have enough room to store my plasma cutter much less a cutting table. [/i]

Thanks,

that and the other vids have given me a good idea of how to go about it!
I'm not going to set up a CNC plasma table, I just want to cut by hand, so using a shallow tank should be enough. Just find a roundtoit and I'll be all set!

Thanks again, Matthew
Thanks given by: