removing arbor from chuck
hi all.
I have a Rhøm-chuck with a MT4 arbor that I have to remove, on a way that it's not beeing damaged17428.
Here we go:
First drill thrue the chuck body whith a 5mm drill, insert a drift and it with a 3-pounder and off it go. Then degrease the new MT3 arbor and chuck taper ,insert the arbor and wacck it with a deadblow hammer an the job's doneThumbsup
[Image: IMAG1093.jpg]

[Image: IMAG1094-1.jpg]

[Image: IMAG1095.jpg]

[Image: IMAG1096.jpg]
Best reg.
CS
crankshafter, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Works for me. Thumbsup

You can also make a wedge with a slot in it to slip over the small end of the arbor.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Well done. Whats the disc on the workbench in the first photo?
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(01-11-2013, 07:03 PM)TomG Wrote: Works for me. Thumbsup

You can also make a wedge with a slot in it to slip over the small end of the arbor.

Tom

That is the most commonly used way. In fact, Jacobs makes a wedge, though with a size differential that big one could probably use an automotive ball joint separator. The hard ones are when the the mounting taper (MT2, MT3, etc) is actually smaller than the Jacobs taper in the chuck itself. Those often have to be knocked out the way crankshafter shows.
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs064

Using an opposing pair makes it even easier. Smiley-eatdrink004

http://www.use-enco.com/1/1/32915-13268-...edges.html
Willie
Thanks given by:
easy enough to just disassemble the chuck to knock the arbor out which also allows you to clean and re lube it.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
or if the chuck is naff cut the chuck off with a sliting disk
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
The more gradual taper of the double Jacobs wedges in my opinion is more desirable than a single ball joint tool or even two ball joint tools from opposite sides.
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(01-13-2013, 08:43 PM)mikecwik Wrote: The more gradual taper of the double Jacobs wedges in my opinion is more desirable than a single ball joint tool or even two ball joint tools from opposite sides.

Hi all.
I could have made a pair of wedges, but drilling thrue the body of the chuck was the easyest waySmiley-dancenana
Since it's a Rohm$$ chuck with solid body, it's no way to reach the taper.
krv3000: Yes I could have cut the arbor and drill/ bore out the taper, did it last time I had to change taper on an other chuck.
But the way I did it this time I rescued a MT4 B16 chuck arbor.BTW: the chuck is doing well Rotfl
Best reg:
CS. in freeazing cold Norway
crankshafter, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
To quote TomG, "works for me" too. Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: