Ultra-Small Boring Head
Thanx Sas. Willie without you I might have quit. Thanx a million for the encouragement.

Without going all the way thru I am satisfied this was a good project. Anybody recognize the three ring sign? Rotfl

"Billy G" Thumbsup

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(01-29-2013, 05:43 PM)Bill Gruby Wrote: ...Anybody recognize the three ring sign? Rotfl

"Billy G" Thumbsup

The beginnings of a Wankel crankcase? 17428

Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
Ballentine Ale -- long gone, brewery close in 1972.

"Billy G" Rotfl
Thanks given by:
Sorry to see that you had to start again with the dovetail Bill, but it certainly didn't seep to slow you down much! Besides, it is good for beginners like me to see how easily things can go pear-shaped.

It looks like you have one very nice boring head there and a nice paperweight too. In fact, if it wasn't for the layout dye on it, I would have thought you had paid a pretty price for it.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Billy,
From start to finish just excellent - excellent ThumbsupSmiley-signs107Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Agreed, nice work,, see,,,,,,,,,,,, us old lads can still be pretty sharp !! Lol
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
As long as we can think and deliver the thoughts to our hands, nothing is out of reach.

OK -- I have a set-up in the lathe that cannot be broken down till it is finished. So it's back to the mill to make the dial. The dial has a 15 degree face so I bolted my 3" rotary table to a 1" thick block. I mounted this in the milling vise at 15 degrees. I made an adapter for a micro chuck and mounted this assembly to the rotary table. Chucking up a test piece it was time to test the theory. Results below. Tomorrow we will do this with 1/2" brass. I will use the same set-up to make the graduation lines with a Dental Burr.

"Billy G" Big Grin

Thanks given by:
well dun Big Grin
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thank you sir.

I was gonna wait till tomorrow but ------- Pic#1 is the angled set-up with the brass work piece chucked up. Pic #2 is the angled face finish cut. Pic#3 Diamond Burrs, #3&#4 from the right are the ones I will use.

"Billy G" Big Grin

Thanks given by:
Everything has an end. Sometimes we hate to see it come. This is one of those times for me. I have had a ball building thel Boring Head. I got to know my new mill very well.

The dial only has .005 graduations but that is all that is needed here.

Hope you all enjoyed this as much as I did. It's on to something new I guess.

"Billy G" Smile

Thanks given by: