Wood carvings
Very Very nice work!!

Re: Not knowing about teeth: (Us old lads would just take our teeth out to use as a model!!!) Lol
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Wow! Nice work Mick.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Excellent work without a doubt! I, however, will not be attempting to compete with you. Sadno Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Nice work Mick. He's no longer a spineless wonder. Thumbsup

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Very nice Mick
The spine sets it off a treat
John
Thanks given by:
Good evening all , the skull is done , after lots and lots of dremel work and sanding Big Grin

This it it fully sanded and smooth.

[Image: skullfinished001.jpg]

It was then given a coat of 50/50 sanding sealer - thinner mix, which soaks in and seals any grain in the wood, it also make it look a touch darker.

[Image: skullfinished002.jpg]

I then got a peice of wood to make the base , I think its Olive wood ? , this was trued up on the wood lathe.

[Image: skullfinished003.jpg]

This it a spigot turned on the top of the lid so it can be held in the chuck to do the underneath of the lid, the underneath has a reverse of this so the jaws open into a recess rather than so the top can be done too.

[Image: skullfinished004.jpg]

I just did a design as I went , I wanted the museum exhibit look lol, after this shot I drilled a hole 1/2 inch diameter and about 1/2 deep so I could make a spigot on the botton of the spine and glue the skull to the base.

[Image: skullfinished005.jpg]

This is the finished base , its also been sanding sealered and waxed.
[Image: skullfinished006.jpg]

[Image: skullfinished010.jpg]

This is the skull after being waxed and buffed up, I did not take any photos but I then had to saw around the base onf the bottom of the spine and carve a round spigot onto it that fitted the hole in the top of the base , then glued the two together.

[Image: skullfinished015.jpg]

This is the finished article, I am chuffed at how its come out, there are a few bits I would probably do different if I did another one and a few bits that are not anatomically correct to the last detail but overall I have learnt a lot doing it which is my main aim anyway.

[Image: skullfinished016.jpg]

[Image: skullfinished017.jpg]

[Image: skullfinished019.jpg]

[Image: skullfinished021.jpg]

I have my next project marked out its a round plaque with a heraldic rampant lion set into it in low relief, the mission this time is to leave it finished off the tool without any sanding ........ a tall order but I an so sick of sanding I will give it a good go :lol:
Hope you all like the finished skull Smiley-eatdrink004

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
That base turned out real nice Mick. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
real nice pice of workmanship,,, and the skull even looks happy with it's end results!!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Mighty nice Mick, mighty nice. Although I still think it need some blue LED's in the eye sockets. Big Grin

Don't forget to inscribe the bottom of the base.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Very nice Mick, really good Thumbsup Smiley-signs107 Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: