Jet JMD 18 project
Ive had the Jet JMD 18 for a while, and while waiting for parts for the Johnson band saw, I started working on the mill. Stripped it down, got some of the parts painted, and started to build a stand. I need to find an on/off switch that will fit in the space, or I might get the same switch as I put on my saw and build a box for it. I will then mount it on the left side of the machine. Got lots to do on it, but I`ll get there lol. Here are a few shots in no particular order. I aslo gotta find a way to make a speed chart for it as its missing. Ill probably have lots of questions for you guysWorthy

here is the switch it had in it, I dont like this because you can hit it by accident, would like to find push button switch to fit in this space.
[Image: 2012-11-19_18-08-25_928.jpg]

in the back of my truck the day I picked it up, my buddy brought his skid steer down to unload it.
[Image: 2012-11-19_18-08-56_966.jpg]
here is the stand Im building, 1 1/2"x1 1/2" x 11ga tube, I tacked in some channel iron runners after drilling them, that the base bolts to
[Image: 2013-02-13_19-27-41_584.jpg]

the leveling feet I made, would like to find some 1/4" rubber to glue on the bottom
[Image: 2013-02-06_17-51-57_274.jpg]

Thanks for looking.......any info hints suggestions about this machine would be appreciated
monkers, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Nov 2012.
Thanks given by:
(02-13-2013, 09:19 PM)monkers Wrote: ... I need to find an on/off switch that will fit in the space, or I might get the same switch as I put on my saw and build a box for it.

...here is the switch it had in it, I dont like this because you can hit it by accident, would like to find push button switch to fit in this space.

Have a look at these: Push Button Switch

Nice job on the stand so far. It looks good! Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the link Highpower, looks to be exactly what I am looking for! And thank you for the kind words. Im thinking of one, maybe two drawers in the front for collets cutters etc. Im going to put a piece of 1/8"-3/16" plate on top, depends what I can get a hold of, and for the sides, I will screw on some sheet metal to enclose it. I aslo have a stud/t nut kit to hang off the side.
Thanks given by:
Nice work Monkers. I always use contactors on machinery that can bite you if you are not careful. Contactors will cut power to the machine if the power goes out. This prevents start up the instance power is returned. It is purely a safety thing but only works if the contactors are energised by a momentary action switch. HERE is a link to the rewire of my mill.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Good work there Monkers,, looking pretty nice.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Those light switches are not really meant for powering motors on and off. It's good you plan on changing it out.

Nice job on the stand. That will make the mill very stable.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Like Mayhem I prefer contactors, they can also be equipped with overload devices for motor protection. Contactors with low voltage coils will work with smaller pushbuttons and even limit switches.
I must admit though, I have never bought a contactor, mine have always come from "inventory" ("inventory" supplied by a half century of collecting and NEVER throwing anything out.)
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thank you guys, for the compliments. Now with a switch like in the link, 220v 20 amp, would i be able to steal 110v from one "pole" to power a work light? Or should I justplug the work light into an outlet on its own?
Thanks given by:
If its only 220 with no neutral going to the machine its not a good idea to power the light off one leg. You'd have to return on the ground wire. I've done it with 110/24 volt transformers to operate contactors but even thats a no no by code.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
f350ca, thank you for the input, I didnt even think of that. Im not too electrically inclined as you can all tell. Thanks again
Thanks given by: