Home Anodizing Set-up
Darren,

That's Rambo, the youngster. He weighs in at 143 pounds and that bench is 30 inches high. Yikes

It's a good thing he's a lover.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I thought they were both very friendly and affectionate dogs. So, it is a sizable bench then!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hey Tom just got to say that as an electroplater by trade, this is a very impressive set up. I would like to know though, in your tubs with the heating elements the gaskets. Are they ok with the chemical, no deterioration in the area. Also aluminum anodes instead of lead, was this a preference? Also the fumes your video mentioned but there was'nt alot of info on this. Here we have a rather huge set up with an equally large fume hood that sucks the fumes in and it gets filtered, the filters are then power rinsed 3 times a day and the rinse water is recycled back in the resivoir tobe pumped back into the soup as we would call it. Your power supply now is that acting or is it an actual rectifier? In any case this is just an inspiring and incredibly impressive thread...GM
Thanks given by:
Tom, one of the best reads I had for a while. Anodising is something that I've tried a few times and had some success with even with a very basic setup. I'd like to spend the time and create a bench but I don't have the space or use it anyway near frequently enough. Really great read and great result. Regarding the dyes, most organic dyes will do a decent job. Here in the UK we have a shop called Wilkinsons that sell fabric dyes by Dylon. They are only £2.99 and give stunning vibrant colour when anodising. If you have the real dyes already I expect you have no need but it is worth experimenting with them - lots of colours and very cheap.

I'm looking forward to the video!

All the best
Chris

Edit: sorry this thread is old but was resurfaced by the previous poster. Was there no video made?
Thanks given by:
Here you go.

Thanks given by:
The thread may be old, but not nearly as old as me. Big Grin

I read in the reference material I was using that commercial dyes are better suited to the pore size of an anodized surface than fabric dyes, so they tend to be more intense and more permanent. The commercial dyes were also quite reasonably priced, so the experimentation route was less attractive.

I'm glad you enjoyed the build.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: