Home Anodizing Set-up
(02-17-2013, 10:15 PM)TomG Wrote: ... The bench will also contain a fan to force any fumes from the acid solution outside through a ventilation hose.

Tom

Hopefully the neighbors won't call in about your "meth lab" operation... Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-20-2013, 04:25 PM)stevec Wrote: Ed, I don't think any computer I've had draws near 25 amps.
( but remeber, I'm using a Timex and a Commodore 64.) Pcwhack

Modern power supplies for computers have come a long way since the days of the Commodore 64, I had one also. Here's a $20 one that's rated for +12V at 40A.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/38070...wer_Supply

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed: It doesn't sound like it would be easy to get 15 volts out of a 12 volt supply? Chin

Steve: Yeah, it's great except that it takes 100 things in your attic to provide one that you'll ever use.

Willie: My neighbors are used to me. It's getting harder and harder to surprise them (probably a good thing).

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(02-20-2013, 05:26 PM)TomG Wrote: Ed: It doesn't sound like it would be easy to get 15 volts out of a 12 volt supply? Chin

Tom

Tom,

I think the biggest difficulty would be getting the schematic for the power supply undergoing surgery. Also some of the capacitors might be rated for 16V which is cutting it too close for me.

How regulated does the power supply need to be for anodizing?

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, I'm sorry for doubting you, I did the numbers and to get 600 Watts from a 120V line you need to draw 5 amps. To get 600W at 12V you need 50 A. It just seemed a little high to me, heck you could start a small car with 50 A.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(02-20-2013, 05:35 PM)EdK Wrote:
(02-20-2013, 05:26 PM)TomG Wrote: Ed: It doesn't sound like it would be easy to get 15 volts out of a 12 volt supply? Chin

Tom

Tom,

I think the biggest difficulty would be getting the schematic for the power supply undergoing surgery. Also some of the capacitors might be rated for 16V which is cutting it too close for me.

How regulated does the power supply need to be for anodizing?

Ed

Ed,

I don't think you need much regulation. Battery chargers are commonly used for anodizing and I doubt they are very well regulated.

Tom
Thanks given by:
(02-21-2013, 07:39 AM)stevec Wrote: Ed, I'm sorry for doubting you, I did the numbers and to get 600 Watts from a 120V line you need to draw 5 amps. To get 600W at 12V you need 50 A. It just seemed a little high to me, heck you could start a small car with 50 A.

Steve,

I don't mind being doubted. Hell, I'm wrong just as much as I'm right so I'm use to it. Happyyes

I learned a long time ago to not be afraid to speak up just because you're concerned you'll be wrong. I've learned more by speaking up like an idiot than by keeping my mouth shut.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(02-21-2013, 07:53 AM)TomG Wrote: Ed,

I don't think you need much regulation. Battery chargers are commonly used for anodizing and I doubt they are very well regulated.

Tom

Thanks Tom. That's what I suspected.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I took the day off work today and was able to finish up most of the anodizing bench That I started on Sunday. The buckets arrived today as well and I was happy to see that they fit without issue. It's always a risk designing something without all of the components available. Next, I'll need to plan out the electrical system. It'll need to be 220 volts to accommodate the three 2000 watt immersion heaters, along with the air pump for the bubblers and possibly some timers for the various anodizing steps.

There are still a few things to finish up on the bench. The top edge of the box needs to be finished somehow to protect it from moisture, the corners of the box needs to be sealed with RTV and the bench top needs to be fabricated, hinged, and some gas struts installed to hold it open.

Tom

[Image: 001_11.JPG]

[Image: 002_8.JPG]

[Image: 003_8.JPG]
Thanks given by:
That's a very nice anodizing bench ThumbsupSmiley-signs107Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: