Time for a new 4-Jaw chuck - perhaps?
Question 
I've had a few 'incidents' where a work piece has tried to escape from my 4-jaw chuck. Most recently, it was my 10" 3-jaw chuck that almost got away from me (Yes, I grip the 3-jaw in the 4-jaw - gives me a set-tru 3-jaw that way!).

The screws are loose in their retainers and one (of the retainers) is broken. The jaws themselves are cracking either side of the thread and there is a hell of a lot of slop in them. Also, they are bell-mouthed when tightened.

The local machinery supplier is having a sale and a replacement chuck of the same size is $450.00. It is a Feurda brand, which from what I have read are fairly decent. I am considering buying it.

Can anyone think of any reasons why I shouldn't? (I'm using money earned from side-work, so my wife doesn't know about it Big Grin ).
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Sounds like you need it from a safety standpoint. Besides I very seldom can think of a reason to not buy tools.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
The only reason i ever had to "NOT" buy tools is because i was broke!! LOl

(That is the most depressing situation!! )
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
I stick a 3-jaw in the 4-jaw too... But not a sloppy 4-jaw! It definitely sounds like time for a new one, and the Fuerda 4-jaws are pretty good for the money, all I've seen have been decently made, accurately square and smooth in operation - if you have a D1 spindle nose on your lathe consider getting one with a D1 fitting, of course! I'm not sure what other spindle fittings they do, but there are D1-4 and D1-6 in their catalogues (I wish they did D1-5 to fit my.lathe though, I'd have to use one of my remaining backplates...)

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
He's got a screw fit spindle nose on that lathe, Dave.

Get the new chuck Darren, as it really is a safety issue. It's a decent brand, and a fair price considereing how much you guys have to pay for things there.
Thanks given by:
Had a screw fit on my old Challenger lathe, can definitely recommend camlocks now I've got used to 'em - there are a few jobs that are easy running in reverse and near impossible forwards (threading to the bottom of a blind bore included!)

If Mayhem can get / can make / has backplates then the chuck will be a bit less pricy, I'd hope, and the world's his oyster for accessories - D1-5 parts tend to be rare as rockinghorse droppings, and twice the price of screw-on stuff....

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
I had pretty much made the decision to buy it and the weekend work I just did will pay for it but I thought I would just throw it out there. You just never know when you will get that response to tell you there is an easy fix and to put the folding stuff back in your pocket!

I will be making my backplate, now that I have figured out the threading issue I was having. The backlash nut on the leadscrew had worked loose, so there was 2mm (0.080") of travel.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren, aren't ALL readings of the lead/feed screws supposed to be taken on the forward (into the cut) direction? Thusly backlash should not be the problem.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Did anyone, besides me, understand that?
If I start posting like spro (from another, turn head and spit, forum)?
Or is it too late?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(03-08-2013, 03:41 PM)stevec Wrote: Did anyone, besides me, understand that?
If I start posting like spro (from another, turn head and spit, forum)?
Or is it too late?

I understood it so you're not quite up to spro's level yet, thank God. Happyyes

Ed
Thanks given by: stevec