Time for a new 4-Jaw chuck - perhaps?
(03-08-2013, 03:45 PM)EdK Wrote:
(03-08-2013, 03:41 PM)stevec Wrote: Did anyone, besides me, understand that?
If I start posting like spro (from another, turn head and spit, forum)?
Or is it too late?

I understood it so you're not quite up to spro's level yet, thank God. Happyyes

Ed

Thank God indeed! That guy is really out in space!
Thanks given by:
At first I thought his location "mid atlantic" was somewhere between North America and Europe , which seemed fitting.
Later, I realized it means somewhere in between Florida and Maine.
He's a nice guy but a little hard to understand at times.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
OK - well today I removed the backplate from the chuck and realized that I will have some trouble making a new one without a chuck! So, I grabbed a boiler slug and marked out the holes, so I can bolt this to the backplate. I will then machine this to fit the 3-jaw and from there I will make my dummy spindle nose and subsequent backing plates. The original one will then be returned to the old chuck.

I used dividers to mark out the bolt circle but trying to set to a hundredth of a mm was difficult, so I got it as close as possible and then used transfer punches to mark the hole centres. As I don't have a 5/8" transfer punch, nor a working lathe to make an adaptor, I used a socket. Quick, easy and does the job. A wrap or two of tape can be used to get a better fit but you have to make sure there are no overlaps.

I had to leave it here, so will have to finish it off next week.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Coming along nicely Mayhem.
With apologies to Mayhem - who is this guy 'spro'? I feel I'm missing out here Big Grin
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
No Dave your really not missing out, believe me. He's just a member/contributor on another forum.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Update:

Yesterday I mounted my 10" 3-jaw chuck, which was an interesting exercise. The register was just outside of the range of the largest mic I have, so I used a tape measure and got close. I then took off .001" at a time, test fitting the chuck after each cut.

Once I got it to the point that it was a tight fit, I removed the backing plate from the lathe and marked out the 3 bolt holes to fasten the chuck. To do this I made some transfer punch screws out of some M12x1.75 bolts. First I turned a 60* point and then filed 2 flats to allow them to be screwed in with long nose pliers. Next they were cut to length. I got all three made from one bolt.

I read somewhere that the holes should be 1.5mm larger than the bolt size, so I drilled 13.5mm holes. Once this was done I threw the backing plate into the freezer, along with my lunch for tomorrow! Whilst the backing plate fits with a couple of gentle taps, cooling it down gave enough shrinkage that I could easily adjust its position to line the holes up. Once done, I put in the 3 bolts but didn't tighten them until both the backing plate and the chuck were at room temp.

Here are the transfer punch screws. In the last pic you can see one about to be screwed in and the other 2 in place.

Holes being drilled.

Chilling out!

All finished!

Edited to fix a typo
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
That's a good sized 3-jaw chuck. My lathe came with only a 6" 3-jaw chuck. Nice job on the backing plate installation. It sounds like you're getting your lathe all in order and ready for some serious action.

Ed
Thanks given by: Mayhem
(04-27-2013, 08:11 PM)EdK Wrote: Nice job on the backing plate installation. It sounds like your getting your lathe all in order and ready for some serious action.

Ed

Smiley-signs064

Nice job of using your noodle to layout the bolt circle. It looks like a beefy set-up for that chuck. Smiley-eatdrink004
Willie
Nicely done Mayhem Thumbsup Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
well dun
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.