Time for a new 4-Jaw chuck - perhaps?
Nice job Darren. Hopefully you didn't have to test fit it to many times!

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Somewhere around here I made a set of transfer points like that, except I cheated. I took cone point socket set screws and screwed them into tapped holes in a scrap round and milled hexes on them so I could use small sockets to install/remove them. Yes, I know you can buy them (so?), but I had time to play.

[Image: 2258.gif]

Good job, Darren. Glad to see you replaced the other chuck. It was dangerous.
Thanks given by: Mayhem , EdK
(04-28-2013, 11:43 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: Somewhere around here I made a set of transfer points like that, except I cheated. I took cone point socket set screws and screwed them into tapped holes in a scrap round and milled hexes on them so I could use small sockets to install/remove them. Yes, I know you can buy them (so?), but I had time to play.

[Image: 2258.gif]

Good job, Darren. Glad to see you replaced the other chuck. It was dangerous.

Tony,

Are the points on the set screws accurately concentric with the threads? I guess it would depend on how they are manufactured. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
I've never seen them before - interesting idea
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I got a set of those in a box of tools i bought a while back. 1/2 down to #8 in course thread.

[Image: IMG_0536.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
As long as the tapped holes used to mill the flats are not too sloppy, I found the cones close enough. Probably within 0.005. I didn't make a fancy case to hold them like the commercial ones that also functions as a wrench, which is probably why I don't know precisely where they are.
Thanks given by: EdK
The intent for transfer screws is to locate a bolt clearance hole from a tapped hole, so any slop in the threads is pretty much lost in the noise. If you need something more concentric, another technique might be more appropriate.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: EdK
Yep, the best use I found for them was locating the mounting holes for mounting some sheet metal guards on a plastic bag sealing machine I helped design and build. Every one (well the first 75 or so) weren't so exactly the same that we could pre-punch the holes, nor were the sheet metal guards.

But they do have their uses, and can be quite handy. Not so much in the toolroom, but for sure in fabrication.

[Image: BCL.hsl_.15-Crown-McT-CML-100_0.jpg]
Thanks given by: