Metal gears for 7x12s
Buy the way in answer to your question Ed ,I have had no problems with the gears; But I am afraid that with the new motor
I may inadvertantly over load them , causing the lathe to be out of use for a long period while I wait for parts . A big problem on this island.

Brian.
Brian, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
http://briansworkshop.weebly.com Welcome
Thanks given by:
For what it's worth, jmo.Blush When I converted my 12 x 37 belt drive lathe to gear head I used stock gears (I think "MartinSprocket" were the cheapest). I cut my own gears from Delrin plastic so that each gear mating would be from metal to plastic or plastic to metal. The reasoning was economy and lubricity. Converting the headstock to a leakproof sump would have been impossible.
This was done almost 20 years ago and I have not had a failure yet.
About 8 years ago I replaced the 1½ hp original motor with a 3 hp motor (from "inventory") and haven't "stressed" the gears further.
The primary drive is via single "B" section belt so there's a "torque limiting" factor there.

There has been some lubricant applied so it's hard to tell the plastic ones from the steel.

Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2013, 03:59 AM)Brian Wrote: Buy the way in answer to your question Ed ,I have had no problems with the gears; But I am afraid that with the new motor
I may inadvertantly over load them , causing the lathe to be out of use for a long period while I wait for parts . A big problem on this island.
Brian.

I'd be far more afraid of twisting/bending the spindle... Heavy cuts might also twist the bed, imparting a "unique" taper to the work.
Thanks given by:
You definitely want at least one plastic gear in the gear train. Just have a few spares around just in case you do shear one. Having spares will almost guarantee you will not ever shear one. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2013, 06:52 AM)stevec Wrote: For what it's worth, jmo.Blush When I converted my 12 x 37 belt drive lathe to gear head I used stock gears (I think "MartinSprocket" were the cheapest). I cut my own gears from Delrin plastic so that each gear mating would be from metal to plastic or plastic to metal. The reasoning was economy and lubricity. Converting the headstock to a leakproof sump would have been impossible.
This was done almost 20 years ago and I have not had a failure yet.
About 8 years ago I replaced the 1½ hp original motor with a 3 hp motor (from "inventory") and haven't "stressed" the gears further.
The primary drive is via single "B" section belt so there's a "torque limiting" factor there.

There has been some lubricant applied so it's hard to tell the plastic ones from the steel.

Wow, nice modification Steve! Smiley-signs107
You're right, I can't tell which ones are the Delrin ones.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I wish I'd taken a pic of the original belt drive. But then, I didn't have a digital camera then.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve.
I like your conversion A good solid job. Congratulations.

I do not intend to alter the way I use the lathe I still treat it as a mini lathe and respect its limitations Doing that it serves me well.
I am awaiting a reply from LMS about the compatibility of the gears that they sell.
Brian.
Thanks given by:
Brian, I don't know why I had to harp at you, maybe because you are so capable? I just wanted to share my experience.
P.S. I'd love to be in Sicily working on your boat!
Thanks given by:
JMO, but EVERY lathe should have as Ed states one or two extra plastic gears. it would be comforting to know that if you do break it, your'e down time is going to be minimal.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(03-17-2013, 06:30 PM)stevec Wrote: Brian, I don't know why I had to harp at you, maybe because you are so capable? I just wanted to share my experience.
P.S. I'd love to be in Sicily working on your boat!

Hi Steve
No Problem I value your opinion.
As for working on the boat? we have had nothing but rain and sleet for the last 2 weeks, we have lost one bridge on the main road and had lots of land slides, In these conditions I don't even like driving up & down the mountain. the roads are very slippery, we see new gaps in the Armco almost every day . driving in Sicily is like playing Russian roulette with someone else pulling the trigger.

Brian.
Thanks given by: