Fire Wood Processor
Impressive Greg - It would have been very interesting to see the process. Now you will have to do the other block so you can video it...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Looks most impresive
Some video would be good
John
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs064
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys, but sorry no video, tried before and couldn't get one to post here. Got the second cylinder bored. Have a hone lined up but won't be able to get it till later this week. Will do the valve seats and tear down the rest of the block in the mean time. The valve guides seam loose, haven't measured them yet but out of curiosity, what are guides made of, Cast Iron?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Usually cast iron, posh ones are sometimes bronze... Reamed with a guide, then the valve seats cut concentric and ground and lapped with the valve to seal properly.

Dont fancy boring my VMax, do you? It wants to go from 76mm out to 86, plus a few for cylinder liners...

I don't think the crankcase would fit in your 4-jaw, though.

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
I wondered if bronze would work. Need to check for parts availably. If I can't get them maybe I'll make them, bronze would be easier to get than small cast rod.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Not much to show for the last couple of days. Cleaning parts and checking tolerances. The rod bearings checked good (a sign of the times, the auto parts dealer had to bring in plastiguage for me, does no one check bearings anymore). The valve guides are badly worn but available, as are the .30 over pistons and rings, ordered today, should be here next week. The throttle shaft and body were worn, made new shaft and bored out body to fit today.
Greg
Thanks given by:
The parts arrived today, was that ever good service. Made up a mandrel to press out the valve guides, three came easy the last was TIGHT, managed to crack the side out of the casting. Hard to see the crack in the photo but it looks out of round.

[Image: IMG_0521.jpg]

Lucky I have extras, the guides pressed out nice then had to bore this one, pretty much back to square one.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Here's a video of Greg boring out the cylinder.

Enjoy.

Ed

Thanks given by: ETC57
Thanks for posting that Ed.
Greg
Thanks given by: