Greg,
Super job on the engine Smiley-signs107 Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Attempted a U-tube posting. Here goes.

http://youtu.be/SSx5m6ayrGo

Now for a question.
As you can hear its loud with the stock diffuser (?) on the stack. I tried a small automotive muffler on it yesterday and the result was astounding, silence. It idles smoother too (as expected with some back pressure). Is the back pressure from the muffler going to be hard on the exhaust valves due to the retained heat. I've heard yes and no. Comments please.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Well the video was a success Greg. She certainly seems to be running nice even if she wants to get up and go. I'm guessing a steel crankshaft.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Needed another break from the cabinet shop.
The hand crank I've been using is on loan from a friend, he needs it for an engine on a wood splitter. So we started building one last night. Turned the OD and ID from a piece of DOM then step milled the profile, followed by a fairing with a sanding disk. Now to make a handle.

[Image: IMG_0556.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Looks Like it'll get the job done Greg. I assume it is meant to engage a pin through the center of the shaft? are you going to heat treat it once you make sure it works properly?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Probably would be a good idea Tom, is DOM tubing heat treatable (again mystery metal, no idea where it came from). I think it has a little more carbon than mild steel. Would have to do it after welding the handle on.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Slipped back out to the shop after supper and finished up my crank. If quenching it in water after tigging the handle to the hub constitutes a heat treatment then it got hardened. Looks bent in the photo's,

[Image: IMG_0558.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0560.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg,

Try quenching it in oil and if that doesn't work, try water. If neither makes it hard, you'll need to case harden it. If it does get had by quenching, be sure to temper it so it's not brittle. Just re-heat to a light blue color and let it air cool.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Hi
Greg
The engine runs very well
Nice to see old motors revived
John
Thanks given by: