Fire Wood Processor
The cabinets are close to finished, time to get back at this project.
The log being cut will go on to a conveyer to index it as the cuts are made. Decided to go with #80 roller chain to move the log. A lot heavier than is needed but the dimensions on it are nice, 1 inch pitch and 5/16 pins. I need teeth to bite into the log to move it. These will replace links in the chain, crossers can then be welded to these. The corners need to be rounded to clear the next link as it rolled over the sprockets.
Made up this jig to locate them on the rotary table. It has a shoulder to align them and a hole for a bolt where one of the pins will go.

[Image: IMG_1628.jpg]
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, how many will you need to make? 17428

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Not that many, only 20, going with 20 feet of chain and a pair of these every 2 feet.
Didn't have the nerve to try swinging them by hand on a pin.
Greg
Thanks given by:
The 14 tooth sprockets for the #80 chain came in. Need weld in hubs but standard hubs set the sprocket to one edge, I need it entered so had to make them. 
Don't use the shaper often but when its needed it does a nice job.

[Image: IMG_1641.jpg]

Sprocket entered on new hub.

[Image: IMG_1643.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Now that's a big sprocket. Yikes

Ed
Thanks given by:
Greg, I made a couple of sprockets something like that back in Ontario. It was for my converted hay bail (bale?) elevator that became my firewood elevator.

I had to make the entire sprockets though, due to the type of chain, but I had a broach Big Grin .

Sadly I willed the conveyor to a friend figuring I could find another old square bale conveyor here in NS, haven't found one in the 5+ years
we've been in NS. Bawling

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Not as big as it looks Ed, thats only a 4 inch vice for perspective.
Thought about cutting these too Steve, was having trouble finding #80 sprockets but the farm dealer came up with them for $20 each, would have made about $2 an hour filling them smooth after the torch cut them from 5/8 plate. Did try making making ones for some square chain I was given. May use it on a conveyer for the processor.
[Image: IMG_1394.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg,

Clean your welding bench off.

I like your new avatar. Nice photo of the QA boss.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thats patina Ed. Can't recall what I was doing to get the bench wet, its actually a cast iron welding table. Nice spatter doesn't stick.
Couldn't handle that blue thingy the new software came up with.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(03-16-2015, 04:53 PM)f350ca Wrote: Thats patina Ed. Can't recall what I was doing to get the bench wet, its actually a cast iron welding table. Nice spatter doesn't stick.
Couldn't handle that blue thingy the new software came up with.

Rotfl I like it, patina.

That blue thingy has been there since day one of this forum. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by: