New Log Splitter
Steve,

All that bending over is definitely hard on the lower back. Why not make an cradle for the chainsaw so you could use it standing erect, then you wouldn't need to lift the logs. Maybe a pivoted extension on the front handle and a similar one for the rear with a lever for the throttle. Sort of a "T" shaped parallelogram arrangement.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Your well on the way to designing a wood processor Steve.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: stevec
Tom, Your idea could work, it could be built around a cart like a "P" handle cart but I'd still be cutting logs on the ground and that's hard on chains. I'd also have to reposition the cradle or the log every 16".
If I back my converted "arch" to the log I can winch it onto the first set of rollers and then reposition the cable to winch it onto the other rollers much as I presently do on the wood "cutting shelf".
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Great stuff Steve Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: stevec
Almost done turning the Logging Arch into a junking aid.

When I used it last week in it's original iteration I had to re-mount the manual winch because the electric (Superwinch) wouldn't work.

I opened it up to find that it's an "indoor winch", It was still wet and all clogged with rust in the little permanent magnet motor.
I cleaned the rust and gunk off the parts, 2 of the 4 magnets had come loose from the frame.
After blowing it out with compressed air, letting it dry and epoxying back the 2 magnets I re-assembled it and lo and behold it works.
So I'll remount it to the logging arch/now rudimentary processor.
If it actually does stop raining tomorrow I may get it out and into service.

P.S. I guess I'm gonna hafta cover the little winch with a heavy plastic bag or piece of tarp.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Electric winch, now we're talking!

Looking good Steve.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Steve,

I'll have to wait for the pics of it in action since I haven't a clue what you plan on doing with this contraption. 17428

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Patience Tom, patience. You'll get your chance to laugh at my expense soon enough. Smile
I'm only sorry that I can't post a video of it in action, but I'll try and take some explanatory stills.
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2013, 04:10 PM)stevec Wrote: When I used it last week in it's original iteration I had to re-mount the manual winch because the electric (Superwinch) wouldn't work.

I opened it up to find that it's an "indoor winch", It was still wet and all clogged with rust in the little permanent magnet motor.
I cleaned the rust and gunk off the parts, 2 of the 4 magnets had come loose from the frame.
After blowing it out with compressed air, letting it dry and epoxying back the 2 magnets I re-assembled it and lo and behold it works.

Nice save Steve! Applaud Smiley-signs107
Willie
Thanks given by:
Looking good Steve, but the logs are going to have to be well trimmed or knots will want to hook on the rollers.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: