New Log Splitter
Your right Greg, but these are mostly the big heavy trunks that can go 16-24 feet with no branches or knots.
When the tree is down and I cut the 8ft lengths I try to trim any protrusions anyway. If there's one protrusion I'll roll the log when winching it onto the rollers so that it's facing up and won't hang up.
Maybe I'll find I can cut them to 10'8" and then junk up 8 pcs per log instead of 6. we'll see, it's all part of the design by building mindset.
Future progress to follow.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(07-02-2013, 04:45 PM)TomG Wrote: Steve,

I'll have to wait for the pics of it in action since I haven't a clue what you plan on doing with this contraption. 17428

Tom

Here it is Tom. I back up to the log, wrap the winch cable on.

At this point I reset the cable.

Winch a bit more. release the cable and gently push the log fully on and she's ready for junking up.

The last cut will require the log to be stabilized and I haven't decided
exactly how I'll do that.
Anyway, I'm delighted! Big Grin Very little effort and I'm ready for comfortable chainsawing. Big Grin
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
That's just plain Smiley-signs021

Ed
Thanks given by: stevec
Now I get it, it definitely looks like a back saver.

Looks like you need a spring loaded wheel riding on top on the log to hold it in place for the last couple cuts.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Between Steve and Greg, I've heard that the History Channel is thinking about coming out with another new show soon.

"Canadian Ax Men" Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Mmmmmm ..........

DaveH
Thanks given by:
Looking good Steve. What about a chain and a tensioner? Or perhaps a pulley that would allow you to use the winch to 'strap' it down?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Darren, I think I'm gonna try a dedicated "ratchet strap" ( because it's easy!) I tried out one today and it worked but a bit clumsily,
Hooks on each end that love to "let go" just at inopportune times and 15 feet of unnecessary strap to deal with are a pain.

Looks like a lot less than it did as 8 ft. logs.

BTW, the ones waiting in the woods will be 10 footers, once winched onto the "arch" I'll get 2 more junks before having to move the log outward. Which , so far, seems easy to do.
Thanks given by:
Steve,
Is the wedge still removable? What did you do to strengthen it? or did you just sharpen it?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve , toip marks for your gadget, should make a back breaking job into an easy one man operation Big Grin
Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by: