New Log Splitter
Thanks for the info Steve. One of those is on my list but given that we only need a wood fire for a couple of months each year, it is low down on my list.

Edited to fix a typo.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: stevec
Steve,
Only English words allowed - non of that funny stuff Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Update, Testing has shown that the bent "backer" is not required but is in fact the cause of it's own demise. Although it's edges encountering the oncoming split log were at 45° there was still interference with the oncoming log. I was surprised to see how little the log spread after travelling the 5½" after the initial 90° edge. Whoda thunk?

Preparing to install & wire the solenoid switch (out of inventory)for the electric starter, I noticed the nuts were ¼-20 only barely threaded to the end of the copper ¼-28 studs. They were steel anyway so time to make some new ones.
I chose brass because the copper I had in inventory was too large and would have taken to much milk to machine them.

Here they are being "hexed" with the good ole spin index.

Now tapping ¼-28. And ready for de burring and use. (NOT!)

I discovered the solenoids studs were 5/16 fine thread not 1/4 Grrr!

The process was repeated, to the correct size and the small nuts put in inventory.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve, cute nuts!!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
(06-15-2013, 07:38 AM)sasquatch Wrote: Steve, cute nuts!!

Jawdrop
Thanks given by:
(06-15-2013, 07:58 AM)EdK Wrote:
(06-15-2013, 07:38 AM)sasquatch Wrote: Steve, cute nuts!!

Jawdrop

Would have been more shocking if he had posted that in the holiday thread!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Thems the prettiest nuts I've seen in a long time.
On a side note, was splitting some maple Wednesday, the wedge went about an inch into the block, then hit a knot or something and kicked the other end sideways off the pusher. Not to worry I stopped it though. Caught me mid point between the hip and knee. Still limping.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(06-15-2013, 09:47 AM)f350ca Wrote: Caught me mid point between the hip and knee. Still limping.

That's getting scary close to the family jewels. Sweat

Ed
Thanks given by:
I never thought of clamping the "ole spin index" in the milling vise. Looks like it could be handy. One would have to mill the sides of the base so they're parallel with the axis of the 5C spindle but that shouldn't be too difficult. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-15-2013, 04:34 PM)EdK Wrote: I never thought of clamping the "ole spin index" in the milling vise. Looks like it could be handy. One would have to mill the sides of the base so they're parallel with the axis of the 5C spindle but that shouldn't be too difficult. Chin

Ed
Ed, I guess you didn't follow Glenn W's (from that other forum) procedure on truing up your spin index. (pssst. I certainly didn't follow his lead to the precision he detailed).
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: