New Log Splitter
The trial by fire that is design by building continues.
I got the outfeed table done and discovered that the unipod nature of the trailer tongue jack leaves a lot to be desired, not very stable.
So here's the bipod stabilizer legs I added to the outfeed table post.

The trailer tongue jack still serves its purpose when changing from the ball hitch to the outfeed table and vice versa.

Here's a pic of my "high tec" throttle control.

I couldn't, for the life of me, adjust the governor to release and allow the " open throttle" spring to open the throttle in time to compensate for the load of splitting or lifting.
The governor is internal (not a vane type working off the flywheel fan) and I'm not about to tear into the old snowblower engine and "try" to fix it.
So, until the brand new 9hp electric start engine arrives I pull the string when I'm actuating the hydraulic valves and she does the job....well sorta.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve,

The bi-pod legs look much more stable.

I like the "drive by string" technology. Thumbsup

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: stevec
Looking good Steve. Using the string guarantees you'll have a readily available supply of replacement parts.

Ed
Thanks given by: stevec
Looking good, but now your memory will be totally shot with the artificial intelligence on the throttle instead of your finger.
A LONG time ago, I built a bush buggy out of a Corvair, had to try it out long before it was drivable, had a coke box (that doesn't date this) to sit on and a string back to the carbs. No clutch, but the starter would get it going in gear, idled it up onto the highway and pulled the string. Brought the front axle 3 or 4 feet off the ground, and it would hold it there till you let the string go. Back to the drawing board, or stick on the dirt. Added a couple of feet to the frame mounted the battery and gas tank behind the front axle for stability and away we went.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Latest refinement is a modification to the wedge's sharp edge.
I decided that the 45° chamfers making a 90° "edge" could use some work. I took the wedge out of the H beam (because I CAN) and put the angle grinder to the sides of the 45s.
Great improvement! Splitting is much smoother, requires less pressure and the log is less apt to "explode" apart once the split happens.
Here's a pic of a "test", the trunk is 25" dia. at the large end and 16" dia. at the small end.

Let's see if the lift can handle it.

Yup, boy is my back happy or what!
Let's see how she splits.

Success! that little log did not "explode" apart but just rolled off the out feed table and I wasn't about to catch both halves!

I got all of the junks split and stacked today, the electric starter seemed to quit but the pull cord only takes one pull.
When I stalled the engine on the last split of the day the ram was fully extended so after stacking and cleaning up a bit I went to pull start it to retract he ram and WHOA! cord would hardly pull and there were awful scraping noises.
Oh well the brand new 9 horse electric start engine is in the courier's hands and should be here tomorrow, Phew!

By the time I've drug the next tree outa the woods and junked it up the new engine should be installed and ready to go.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Wow, now that is damn good Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Purolater delivered the new 9hp engine today, good timing, the old 8hp seems to have given up the ghost.
Here are the next candidates for the splitter.

There are seven more just lurking in the woods not more than 100 ft.
away, so the engine swap is priority.
Thanks given by:
Beautifull looking pile of stacked firewood!!
That is always a pretty site to me.
Just finished today piling 6 1/2 cords of maple, got about 6 more to go, starting again probably the first of the week.
(Gotta give the old back a rest,,pile a bit each day, sit for a rest,then pile a bit more.)
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Sasq. by 6.5 cord do you mean 2.167 chord ? Here, in the land of "you can't get that here", we talk 128 cu.ft. cords.
Thanks given by:
I have about 4 or 5 more cord left to do (the 42.66666666 cu ft kind)
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: