a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch
(03-26-2013, 04:09 PM)sasquatch Wrote: Was there ever from new,, any type of lubricant used in these watch mechanisims?

yes but if the watch gets pitched into a drawer and left it will dry, which it will anyway and the oils that they used a back in the 1800's was usually whale oil, there was some grease used in the stems to stop dust invasion and on the main springs and winding mech cause it would stay in place better. they have treatments nowdays that will keep the oil where you want it but the stuff is pretty expensive.

I don't have any regular clock oil which I need to order some but I figure that any light oil today is a hell of a lot better then what they had in 1888.

(03-26-2013, 04:14 PM)Micktoon Wrote: Hi David , good post , eve though watches are not my thing you have got me interested Big Grin , nice to see something so old getting another life.................I bet Bob would like this sort of job task too Smile

Thanks for posting.

Cheers Mick

I started thing with the watches because I wanted to fix my dad's old pocket watch which I have had for years and even though I have had it fixed it never stayed that way ( thing may be cursed) any way I've learned a lot about pocket watches and have been having fun doing it.

Glad you guys enjoyed the pictures, I have to pull the watch back apart so maybe I'll take a few more try to get some of the dirt thats in it still.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by dallen - 03-26-2013, 04:26 PM
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by Bill Gruby - 03-29-2013, 04:56 PM
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by Bill Gruby - 03-29-2013, 06:59 PM
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by Bill Gruby - 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM