a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch
Tony give it a shot. you may be able to fix it, but if it runs fine and just doesn't keep time I would take it to a watch repair shop and let them adjust it, thats the delicate part that I don't think I would ever be able to do with out going to a watch school and buying a lot of stuff that I probably can't afford.

anyway heres some more photo's would of posted them last night but was up late dealing with this watch trying to swap out the fourth wheel with one from a different watch, sad to say but the swap didn't fix it. anyway here some photos of basically the clutch, or for those that don't know what shifts between winding and setting.

First off this is a lever set watch, which means you have to open the crystal and pull out a little lever which shifts the clutch from winding mode to setting mode.

First photo is of the plate with all the clutch in place with the lever on the top right of the plate.

Second Photo is of the clutch removed from the plate, pretty nasty with all the dried up oil and gunk.

Third is of the spring barrel and cover with the spring coiled inside.

Fourth is of the wheel that I was hoping to use to replace the one with the rusted pinion but the pivot on the short side is to tight in the jewel and it won't let the watch run and I don't have any thing to dress the pivot or jewel.

some of the pinion's screw onto the arbors which would mean that I would only have to change the one part and not the complete assembly but so far I haven't been able to determine if the pinion is thread on or not so its back to trying to find either one that will work of a jewel that will fit the piviot.

Here's a shot of the center wheel and assorted parts that go on it when in a watch. hard thing about this one is that it came out of a watch movement that is only about and 1" in diameter. Its one that the pinion screws on, it came loose and the hole in the wheel is trashed from the parts spinning.

dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:

Messages In This Thread
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by dallen - 03-27-2013, 05:36 PM
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by Bill Gruby - 03-29-2013, 04:56 PM
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by Bill Gruby - 03-29-2013, 06:59 PM
RE: a stroll thru a 125 year old pocket watch - by Bill Gruby - 03-29-2013, 08:09 PM