Ford tractor manifold mig welded.
My neighbor bought a 1942 2N Ford this winter and someone had brazed a crack in the manifold. So he got out his die grinder and ground the crack almost all the way around and left a hole on the backside. I wanted him to remove the part so i could mig it properly but he resisted. So today i mig welded it up. Considering the rust and the nozzle didn't fit between the motor and manifold i think it turned out pretty good. Crown Alloys 44-30 .035 cast iron mig wire and 75/25 gas...Bob

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Nice job. I've welded cast with stick, always wondered if there was a wire available for the mig.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Those old tractor manifolds can be a real pain at times. Not sure but i think you can still by new/aftermarket manifolds for the "N" series tractors?
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
I dunno about the Fords but it's amazing what you can get for Allis-Chalmers oldies.
Bob, If I had asked my neighbor to remove the manifold for welding and he "resisted" I would have "resisted" welding it.
I'm an old curmudgeon. But I admire your acquiescence. Smiley-signs107
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
But if i wouldn't of welded it i couldn't have taken these nice pics and had something to write about or try out the new wire :) Plus his tractor is right next to that 25 acres i watch over so i might need a favor too...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
Yes manifolds are available bout $150. In my case mine was a silver dollar
thin hole just wasnt worth fixin. Only thing I can think of its just a bad
casting.
big job, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by: