DRO's
(03-28-2012, 04:47 PM)Turbinedoctor Wrote:
(03-27-2012, 08:10 PM)ScrapMetal Wrote:
(03-27-2012, 07:52 AM)DaveH Wrote: Ron,
Are yours the same as Turbo's?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

They are the same brand and from what I can tell in the pictures they are of the same construction/electronics.

-Ron

How do you like yours so far?

Blush I haven't had time to install them yet. Slaphead

-Ron

11" South Bend lathe - Wells-Index 860C mill - 16" Queen City Shaper
Thanks given by:
I have fitted some on my WM14 (slightley smaller than a Grizzley G0704 but same head internals) It came with one fitted the X was a stright fix but the Y was not I used glass scales as I had fitted the chinnese ones in the past and they had not been that sucsesful on the previouse mill an X1 the main thing is to cover whatever you fit up if you want them to last. the Y had to be fitted on an angle to be out of the way of the swarf the X dro was re mounted with a backing plate befor the cover was fitted i did not like the blocks I had used so got a cover kit from http://www.machine-dro.co.uk/digital-rea...cover.html they have them at silly prices at the moment.
Peter

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Peter,

A very nice neat job Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
My 836 mill came with a 2 axis Sino unit with glass scales, so I upgraded it to 3 axis, and used the redundant 2 axis display on my lathe, which had 2 axis already fitted.

So eventually I ended up with 3 axis Sino readout on the mill (plus a digivern readout on the quill, Z2), and 4 axis Sino readout on the lathe. Not one of them has missed a beat in over three years.

I am just about to purchase another 2 axis Sino set from Machine DRO to fit onto my old surface grinder.

I just love working to tenths accuracy when needed.

This is the glass head Z1 axis setup on my mill.
I had a bit of trouble fitting it because the auto stop for the Z1 axis power feed wanted to be in the same place, but with a little bit of fiddling, I got both working in unison just fine.

[Image: workshop61.jpg]

The display is a very nice metal cased unit with plenty of features, that if you take the time to learn how to use them makes machining so much easier.

[Image: workshop59.jpg]

The heads on the lathe.
This was all done to allow me to use the shop as professional unit making high quality close tolerance parts, but not much later, bad health forced me out of the game, so I am now left with a shop and tooling that is a joy to use. I just have to get it so that everything can be done from a sitting position, just like Peter above.

[Image: readout.jpg]

Z2 Digivern fitted to the quill

[Image: DROs1.jpg]

And it's little display box (not shown in previous shot of Sino box) that sits nicely on top of the display.

[Image: DROs2.jpg]

Plus the capacitor fitted instead of the battery so that it can work from a wall wart sent thru a little box of tricks.

[Image: DROs3.jpg]

John
Thanks given by:
Wow. A lot of thought went into those set-ups. Very impressive John. Worthy
Willie
Thanks given by:
Very nice DRO set-ups guys! Cleanly done. I just installed one on my lathe a couple of months ago and it definitely is not as pretty as yours.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Not pretty Ed, but good functionality.

The tailstock one especially, and that was the one which took the most working out.

Sorry about the link

http://madmodder.net/index.php?topic=193...9#msg19859

John
Thanks given by:
Does anyone know of a good "DRO's for Dummies" book?

My user manual is useless when it comes to step-by-step instructions for the functions. They of course assume you already know what you are doing...

Boy, were they wrong! Tongue
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,

If you are talking about the programming of the readout display, I don't think you could make a 'for dummies' book, as I think each type has it's own sort of programming method.

The way I learned mine was to sit down in front of the display, and follow the destructions word for word until I had figured it out, then just wrote little notes on the easy way to do it.
Mind you, my manual isn't too bad, at least most of the spelling is correct, but the grammar is awful. Also in mine, the flow charts are very good, so you don't have to be able to read too much chinglish grammar.

All you can do is stick at it, you will get there, eventually.

John
Thanks given by:
John,

My problem is the manual gives a description of what each function does, but no real destruction's on how to get them to work!

I've fiddled with this thing for hours on end and can't figure out what I am doing wrong. I want to utilize the reference marks on the scales in order to be able to save a set-up after the DRO is powered down. But I can't get the unit to "save" the datum points that I input, so I can't even access the reference marks. Ouch

99% of the time I just use the basic functions, but I'm tired of having to reset everything if I need to let a job sit overnight. I just don't like the idea of leaving the display powered up overnight unattended.

I don't know - maybe I have something set incorrectly in the system set-up. I guess I'll stumble through that again and see what happens. Pcwhack
Willie
Thanks given by: