DRO's
This is the one I hope to get for my mill.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Digital-ReadOut-...3cb83b0a7e

The screen includes readouts for all 3 axis but I plan on buying the 2 axis package as I have a quill DRO already so the z-axis would be for the column which I don't think I would need. I could always add that later if I change my mind.

I like the fact that I would be dealing with a US company rather than direct with China.

Dan
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 11:03 AM)ETC57 Wrote: Hi all I have an obviously uniformed newbie kind of question,Blush

what is considered expensive and what is reasonable?
I would like a dro for my smithy and they offer one for ( last I looked just over $700.00 dollars for a 3 scale system )Chin

I believe they are the encoder type.Chin

Jerry.Popcorn

Hi Jerry,
I'm a long way from Washington, so local pricing isn't something I can comment on, but to answer that folks will need to know if that is fitted, or supplied as a kit, glass, magnetic or capacitive scales and the functionality of the reader, basic readout or one with all the calculators.
Best Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Dan
Another one to look at is http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Easson_M...eadout.htm
I have one of the Easson ones on my lathe. Good to deal with and looks like cheaper shipping. I have a 2 axis on the mill and have never thought I needed one on the knee.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 04:01 PM)f350ca Wrote: Dan
Another one to look at is http://www.dropros.com/DRO_PROS_Easson_M...eadout.htm

That's a nice looking unit Greg. Those are the most compact scales I've ever seen. Cool
Willie
Thanks given by:
I can't say from personal experience but I've heard nothing but satisfaction from DRO Pros.
I'm a lttle bit nervous about my Mitutoyo XY on my mill.
It does some flashing of the display (orange neon?) and it'll work with very lmited travel and then sends the EEEE message.
I'm gonna unmount the scales and clean things up and see if that helps.
The only thing I hate about DRO is when it craps out you have to go back to reading dials and doing things in a constant direction.
The first important job I did after I installed the DRO went like a dream, I just followed the drawings like I was a cnc computer.
We do get spoiled by technologic advances.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Dan
Thanks for your link, the Easson readout I have on my lathe is acting up. The number 3 on the keypad went dead,(can't enter a number with 3 in it) DRO pros offered to fix it out of warranty but I'd have no DRO while it was shipped there repaired and shipped back (too long to the states). I'm using 3 scales on the lathe, the readout sums the carriage and the compound. ( i have a Fagor on the big lathe that does the same thing) They no longer carry that readout but the company from your link has one that they say will work with my scales, $200 plus shipping, will probably order it tomorrow.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I've had good luck with a Meister DRO which is similar to Sino and is available on EBay.

I made a bad decision and ordered a scale for my column instead of the quill. I fixed it by adding an inexpensive DRO on the quill. I should have ordered a glass scale for the quill.

I just bought a Meister 2 Axis for my lathe.
henryarnold, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
(06-14-2012, 10:53 PM)henryarnold Wrote: I made a bad decision and ordered a scale for my column instead of the quill. I fixed it by adding an inexpensive DRO on the quill. I should have ordered a glass scale for the quill.

All of the professional machinists will tell you that the Z reader should be on the knee / column. I can understand the reasoning for that but I'm not a professional in a job shop. Just a homebody having FUN Smiley-eatdrink004 with my machines - and not having to produce "on the clock".

Seeing as how I tend to do a LOT of drilling on the mill, I don't want to spend that much time cranking the knee up and down all the time. I can drill to precise depths over and over again a whole lot faster using the quill. That is why I put my Z scale there instead of the knee. And I have never felt the need to piggyback an additional scale for the knee Z(2). It still has the dial on it if I need it.
YMMV. Smile

[Image: BoltCircleFunction.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
One of the reasons I picked that model was they supply the 2 axis package with a 3 axis display screen. I thought the added flexibility was a great feature. The tough part is finding the $$ Smile
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
You're right, you know, I am, Or maybe "was" a professional and I say put the scale on column for milling, with a second light guage quill scale for drilling, it's not about speed it's all about rigidity, and then when you need to tilt or Nod your head you lose your Z scale all together if it's not on your column.

Best regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by: