DRO's
(06-14-2012, 01:49 PM)Rickabilly Wrote:
(06-14-2012, 11:03 AM)ETC57 Wrote: Hi all I have an obviously uniformed newbie kind of question,Blush

what is considered expensive and what is reasonable?
I would like a dro for my smithy and they offer one for ( last I looked just over $700.00 dollars for a 3 scale system )Chin

I believe they are the encoder type.Chin

Jerry.Popcorn

Hi Jerry,
I'm a long way from Washington, so local pricing isn't something I can comment on, but to answer that folks will need to know if that is fitted, or supplied as a kit, glass, magnetic or capacitive scales and the functionality of the reader, basic readout or one with all the calculators.
Best Regards
Rick
Hello Rick

Some times it takes me awhile to get my ducks in a row when it comes to completing a thought, Blush

anyway the brand is Shooting Star Technologies out of Canada.

The DRO system is a three axis rack and pinyon encoder type, I know nothing about DROs other then what there supposed to do.Confused

Retail is $750.00
any thoughts would be helpful! Chin

Thanks.

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Jerry
I've had a 2 axis Shooting Star dro on my mill for maybe 8 or 9 years. Hasn't missed a beat. I thought the rack might get cuttings in it and skip or something along those lines, all they use is a section of split plastic loom for a cover but its never been an issue, and trust me my house keeping is about as bad as it gets. The measurements are as accurate as I can measure and repeatability is good. The only negative I could give is, there is no memory on the head, shut it off and it re-zero's. This may have been resolved with the head they use now.
I'd give it a thumbs up
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Thanks Greg,

I"ve been debating back and forth for a couple of years now and being quite new to this world of machining spending $750.00 on a dro is scary!Jawdrop

Hopefully this year is my year for a dro.Drool

Jerry.Popcorn
Thanks given by:
(06-23-2012, 12:04 AM)ETC57 Wrote: Thanks Greg,

I"ve been debating back and forth for a couple of years now and being quite new to this world of machining spending $750.00 on a dro is scary!Jawdrop

Jerry.Popcorn
Jerry
I'm not that new to the world of machining and that amount is still scary to me as well. Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-23-2012, 12:04 AM)ETC57 Wrote: I"ve been debating back and forth for a couple of years now and being quite new to this world of machining spending $750.00 on a dro is scary! Jawdrop

Jerry.Popcorn

Jerry,

Spending money to buy your machine didn't seem to slow you down any.... Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

But I'd be willing to bet you are glad you did! Rotfl

Willie Smiley-eatdrink004
Willie
Thanks given by:
Yes Willie that's true, but the machine is mechanical and the DRO is a computer!

Well me and computers don't always get along so good! OuchPcwhackOuchPcwhackOuchPcwhackRotflRotflRotfl

Jerry.Popcorn
Thanks given by:
Well when you go around smacking them with hammers, what do you expect? Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
I bought my 2 Meister DRO's and 7 scales back 5-6 years ago when the dollar was down here in Australia. Back then I sold my dirt bike as with my injury I could never ride them again, so I bought the DRO's which cost me $2150 back then and some other tooling with the rest as it was something I could use. If I had to do it again I would (even though now with the dollar up I could buy 4 DRO sets for that ) as they make it so much easier to use both machines.

You can buy a 2 axis off ebay with all the bells and whistles for $420 posted to you, so no way would I be without one. I know some guys (including me now) would struggle to get that sort of money together, but I don't think you could ever be disappointed once it's fitted and your using it.

Dave
Thanks given by:
I did mine on the cheap
Right place right time
http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthrea...128&page=4

ThumbsupThumbsup
John
Thanks given by:
Like others, I worked with my mill, notepad in hand and using the dials in one direction only (against the cut, not climb) for years. When I got my Mitutoyo DRO from a dear friend, my life changed for the better. Now it's acting up and if I can't get it working myself or repaired by someone else, I'll be shopping for a new one. Once spoiled, never satisfied.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: