Drilling an AR15 barrel for a FSB
This was my last project, drilling an AR15 barrel for an "old school" front sight base. The job is made 100% easier with the Jig I got. I centered the barrel and jig, drilled, then reamed for the taper pins. I reamed by hand this time, but will do under power next time, what do you think? [Image: IMAG2644_zpsb6d3eaf1.jpg] [Image: IMAG2648_zps0b113d4b.jpg]
[Image: IMAG2650_zpsf1101795.jpg]
[Image: IMAG2652_zps580b7504.jpg]
[Image: IMAG2653_zpsfeb47f4f.jpg]
Thanks given by: aametalmaster
Good job Mike.

I need one of those sight bases for mine but AR15 stuff is so ridiculously priced now that I may have to make it myself.

So...is it?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I got some that are already drilled, you would have to drill the barrel to match the existing holes in the FSB. What is your barrel diameter at the FSB? .750" ?
The problem is not so much the cost, it is more so that nothing is available! most do not have any stock to even try to over charge for!
Thanks given by:
Yes, the barrel is .750" where the sight base mounts.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Nice work - what is the orange puck-shaped thingy?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(04-03-2013, 11:19 PM)TomG Wrote: Yes, the barrel is .750" where the sight base mounts.

Tom

Do you want one?
Thanks given by:
(04-04-2013, 06:30 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Nice work - what is the orange puck-shaped thingy?

It is cut out for the front sight base to allow you to either tap in or tap out the taper pins.
Thanks given by: Mayhem
You had better hold on to it Mike, you know what they say about a bird in the hand. I looked around a bit and situation is not as bad as I thought. It looks like Bravo has them in stock for $30.

Thanks,

Tom

(04-04-2013, 07:09 AM)fullautomike Wrote:
(04-03-2013, 11:19 PM)TomG Wrote: Yes, the barrel is .750" where the sight base mounts.

Tom

Do you want one?
Thanks given by:
Nice job...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by: