Making quick change tool post holders (picture heavy)
(04-08-2013, 07:44 AM)PixMan Wrote: I learned to mark the depth that I wanted the tap to go to by wrapping it with masking tape as the depth marker. It worked a charm.
Ya musta been using them sweet spiral point, gun taps or ya only had 2 or 3 holes to do.
I tried it and after the 6th hole the tape had been torn off by the chips backing outa my standard tap. Sadno
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I power tap all the time with the big Jet drill press, with the built in tapping head, a good spiral point tap and a smattering of lube and it goes pretty easy.
jack
Thanks given by:
Excellent post Dave, great photos and a job really well done Smiley-signs107
Minor point - nice safety shoes Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks Dave,
LOL, I was so close to leaving that picture out. I have been pulled up about it on a few forums, but that is what I wear in the shed and always have.

Dave
Thanks given by:
good job
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
All of your pictures are not viewable do you have any plans I could use to make one of my own.
I have a old Atlas lathe that came with a rocker style post.
Thanks given by:
Swede, I just reviewed this thread and it's pretty old (2013) so that's probably why the pics no longer show up.

If your "old Atlas" is anything like mine was there's not much point in using a QCTP it just doesn't have the rigidity.
The only use my old flatbed lathe served me was to teach me that I needed a better lathe.

Sorry for the negativity. Blush

Steve

Smiley-eatdrink004  
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I have a QTCP on my flatbed lathe Steve Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
the photos should still show if the links are valid
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
It appears that Dave has cleaned out his Photobucket account completely. Every album is now empty. He probably moved on to a different photo hosting site to store his pictures. A lot of people have given up on Photobucket, eBay, Internet Explorer, etc., etc., because of the way they constantly 'fix' things that aren't broken. Blink

[attachment=10423]
Willie
Thanks given by: