Is this the correct QCTP?
Hey guys.
I'm still on target of getting a Grizzly G9972Z 11x26 Lathe this summer. I also want to replace the 4 way tool post with a QCTP. As I understand it a wedge type is preferable to the piston type (although I maybe wrong about that). Anyway I think this is the appropriate one for a lathe between 9" - 12" swing.
http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Change-Tool-...002YPDQ4G/
It even says so in the description but I'd like to get the opinion of the more experienced members on the
forum. So
A) is this correct one?
B) Is the wedge type better than the piston type?
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by:
That is the correct size for your lathe. As to whether a piston or wedge style is better, well that's a matter of opinion and my opinion is that the wedge style feels better to me. I have no data to indicate that it actually functions better than a piston style. Smiley-gen163

Ed
Thanks given by:
Check out www.tools4cheap.net. I'm not affiliated with them, just a satisfied repeat customer.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(04-26-2013, 06:39 PM)marfaguy Wrote: Hey guys.
I'm still on target of getting a Grizzly G9972Z 11x26 Lathe this summer. I also want to replace the 4 way tool post with a QCTP. As I understand it a wedge type is preferable to the piston type (although I maybe wrong about that). Anyway I think this is the appropriate one for a lathe between 9" - 12" swing.
http://www.amazon.com/Quick-Change-Tool-...002YPDQ4G/
It even says so in the description but I'd like to get the opinion of the more experienced members on the
forum. So
A) is this correct one?
B) Is the wedge type better than the piston type?
Firstly, I may not qualify as one of the more experienced members of the forum but I have found that the BXA piston style QCTP I have on my 12 X 37 lathe is excellent.
I have a BXA wedge type on my 16 x 60 lathe and I seem to notice a loosening of the wedge during use. I don't know if it's due to the cheaper quality of my QCTP or a characteristic of the wedge type.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I have an Dorian (which I think is good quality) wedge style. It holds great and is ridged but I still need to reset the dro between tool changes. They claim some ridiculous repeatability when replacing a tool holder but I never see it. My home made piston type is just as good.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Just to close the loop on this. I went ahead with the AXA QCTP from Amazon. It took a couple of hours milling the chunk of steel they sent for the T slot mount. After that it mounted well. It feels really good and solid. I tried a couple of test cuts with some scrap hot rolled and HHS indexed bits. Seems to work pretty well. The lock nuts for holding center height work very well. I ordered a couple of extra holders from Little machine shop ( http://littlemachineshop.com/products/pr...uctID=2281). The fit and finish on the ones from Little machine shop are pretty good. So far I'm very pleased with this tool post and the holders. Very smooth action.
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by: