a belt sander refit
hi all i went and pad robwilson a visit and i got a gift a belt sander thank you so much rob but as you all no by gnaw wont's its in my hands it soon ends in bits in all the sander is OK but their was things that i did not like so i started to put sum of the things right the first thing was the grad that covered the belt drive was off center and the bottom pulley was caching the cover esey fix well it ended up a lot more my intention was to cut out a hole in the bottom cover and put a cap over the hole well i needed something bigger by the time i got it figured out i needed a bigger cover (DO NOT DO THIS UNLESS YOU NO WAT YOU IS DOWNING )the cover is a bottom of a spray can the can was already empty so all that needed to be dun was to vent the can (DO THIS BIT OUT SIDE AND WELL VENTILATED) get something sharp to Peirce the can at don't mater where you put the hole as long as you is wearing goggles once the can was empty i cut the bottom off with me dremel so the gnaw dome cover was soldered on and the cover given a cote of primer pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Graemlin That looks like you MIGed the can bottom on. Nice soldering job!

Ed
Thanks given by:
Nice work Bob, i have a couple of those sanders, they are probably getting near 25-30 years old now. Motors long gone, burnt out, but with a 1/4 hp motor they just keep running, handy to have a few with different grits on them.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Top Job Bob GraemlinGraemlinGraemlin, a handy bit of kit a sander like that Smile , that is a class idea about the dome off a spray can looks nice and factory finish , very neat.
Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
well you nald it on the head sasquatch not un till a had dun the mod i noticed the motor was all to pot as it was a replacement one no pics of the making of but will post pics of the after the motor was siting to far forward so the belt was not ruining in line plus the base looked like Swiss chase first thing was to move the mounting plate on the motor as far back as needed to get the belt ruining in line the next thing was to weld all the hols up in the base and weld 4 studs in place for adjusting the motor then give it a pant
Thanks given by:
Graemlin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Pretty sure those old belt sanders were the earlier ones imported from Taiwan, at least mine is.
The design never changed for quite a few years.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
hi last bit i re panted the motor and fitted a new mans Leeds then i put it all back together and its Sweet as a nut well this one was made in 1992 and its from doncaster right pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
GraemlinGraemlinGraemlinGraemlinGraemlin , Looking good Bob , you will using it all the time so well worth the effort Smile

Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
As usual, Graemlin . That turned out real nice. Great rescue!

Ed
Thanks given by: