Hard Core
Hi
Lads
More casting video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GtaL679l...ail&lcor=1
John
Thanks given by: arvidj
Thanks for taking the time to make these videos John and for showing the 'issues' with trying to video and do the work as well.

One question, was the crucible returned to the furnace to facilitate the removal of the left over bronze or do you just leave it in there until the next pour? I don't know how the crucible contracts compared to the bronze but I would have thought that there may be a risk of cracking the crucible?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(05-07-2013, 09:41 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Thanks for taking the time to make these videos John and for showing the 'issues' with trying to video and do the work as well.

One question, was the crucible returned to the furnace to facilitate the removal of the left over bronze or do you just leave it in there until the next pour? I don't know how the crucible contracts compared to the bronze but I would have thought that there may be a risk of cracking the crucible?

The crucible was returned to the furnace and left to cool down slowly
Only a thin coating of bronze remains this just pulls out once it has cooled
John
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Thanks John - I must get around to sorting out my burner (can play with it now the fire bans are no longer in place) and then build a furnace.

How 'fragile' are those crucibles?
Thanks given by:
Thanks John, another great video Thumbsup Smiley-signs107 - fun to watch Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-08-2013, 08:14 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Thanks John - I must get around to sorting out my burner (can play with it now the fire bans are no longer in place) and then build a furnace.

How 'fragile' are those crucibles?

They are stronger than you would think
If you drop on it will brake
They don't like thermal shock
That one had done about 25 melts all bronze
John
Thanks given by:
well dun as per john Thumbsup
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
John, and others, I've been missing out on the videos because of my relatively slow internet connection. Is there anyway I could download them onto a memory stick or other media at a friend's (who has real high speed) and bring it home to enjoy them here? Worthy
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Steve, it can be done but it is a royal pain to do it. You will need an FLV player to view the videos. Unless someone has an easy way to do it that I don't know about. That is HIGHLY possible. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
If you use firefox there are numerous plugins that allow you to download in different formats.

VLC media player is a fantastic free program that will play a variety of formats, including FLV. I use it as my default media player.
Thanks given by: Highpower