Steve's dental service for Delrin gears
As promised, here's some pics of my `dental work`
Here`s where you normally need anesthetic, I was taking mine orally.

Here`s the implant.

Mounted on a mandrel I turned off the excess.

The spin index set-up might be too flimsy for a metal gear but for plastic it`ll do.
I used the tailstock from my rotab to control movement outward during machining because I had set-up the spin index in the vice and I couldn`t advance the crank to keep the spindle from moving. (there`s always a way....sometimes)

Let`s make sure I`ve got the spacing procedure right for 6° rotation for a 60 tooth gear.

Here we go, new teeth appearing.

Finished dental "Bridge".

There'll prolly be a bit of a thump as the new teeth pass the mating gear compared to the old worn teeth but it should wear-in fairly quickly and at least I'll know where the thump, thump is coming from.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
The operation looks like a success Dr. Steve. Nicely done! Smiley-signs107
Willie
Thanks given by: stevec
I was wondering how you were going to patch in the new piece. Nice job of rescuing the gear. Thumbsup

Ed
Nice fix there Steve , I suppose the same could be done to metal gear too, 6799Smiley-signs107

Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Nice save Steve.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Nice work Steve.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
(05-14-2013, 05:17 PM)Micktoon Wrote: Nice fix there Steve , I suppose the same could be done to metal gear too, 6799Smiley-signs107

Cheers Mick.
Yes mick but with a slightly more robust set-up than a spin index.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
That's one for the library. Nice work.

If you don't have a spin indexer, you could make up a frame with a tooth that uses the original gear teeth as the index. If you made it adjustable vertically, you could test it on successive good teeth before moving in to cut the new ones.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
That is a really nice job, very well done Thumbsup Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Thanks all, for the kind words. I'm trying to find a couple of R102RS ball bearings for the layshaft and I'll need some 5/8" shafting. (sob.. no inventory). Then I'll cut the keyway in the shaft and reassemble the geartrain and be back in business.
Thanks given by: