Steve's dental service for Delrin gears
(05-16-2013, 03:32 PM)stevec Wrote: Thanks all, for the kind words. I'm trying to find a couple of R102RS ball bearings for the layshaft and I'll need some 5/8" shafting. (sob.. no inventory). Then I'll cut the keyway in the shaft and reassemble the geartrain and be back in business.

Steve,

If you've got a Fastenal store close by you can check the store inventory for the bearings online. Otherwise let me know if you can't find any and I'll send you some.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed,
I sent you a PM.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
NICE work!!
At the risk of sounding like a complete rookie(which I am), what is the cutter that you are using to cut the teeth in the new section?

Steve
Bustednuklz, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Busting my knuckles since 1986.
Thanks given by:
Steve, It's the same cutter I used to make the gear many years ago,
An involute gear cutter. click this link http://www.kbctools.com/can/Navigation/NavPDF.cfm and type in page 222.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
So you can get things in NS after all Steve!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(05-14-2013, 11:28 AM)stevec Wrote: As promised, here's some pics of my `dental work`
Here`s where you normally need anesthetic, I was taking mine orally.

Here`s the implant.

Mounted on a mandrel I turned off the excess.

The spin index set-up might be too flimsy for a metal gear but for plastic it`ll do.
I used the tailstock from my rotab to control movement outward during machining because I had set-up the spin index in the vice and I couldn`t advance the crank to keep the spindle from moving. (there`s always a way....sometimes)

Let`s make sure I`ve got the spacing procedure right for 6° rotation for a 60 tooth gear.

Here we go, new teeth appearing.

Finished dental "Bridge".

There'll prolly be a bit of a thump as the new teeth pass the mating gear compared to the old worn teeth but it should wear-in fairly quickly and at least I'll know where the thump, thump is coming from.
Nice job Steve, I do love repairing otherwise broken stuff,gives you a smug feeling when it's fixed & you didn't have to shell out for a new one[if available] I've repaired a few grandfather clock gears like that but just soldered pieces in & filed to shape.
Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by: stevec
(05-21-2013, 07:28 AM)Mayhem Wrote: So you can get things in NS after all Steve!
"many years ago" I wasn't living here in "the land of you can't get that here".
Thanks given by:
Just an update, after picking up the bearings I needed over a week ago, I got around to reassembling the lathe.
There is a mild thump as the new teeth mesh through the mating gears in the slower spindle speed that becomes inaudible in the highest speed selection that involves the repaired gear. I'll check to see if it translates as a surface finish aberration with use.
So far so good.
Thanks given by:
(06-06-2013, 05:30 AM)stevec Wrote: Just an update, after picking up the bearings I needed over a week ago, I got around to reassembling the lathe.
There is a mild thump as the new teeth mesh through the mating gears in the slower spindle speed that becomes inaudible in the highest speed selection that involves the repaired gear. I'll check to see if it translates as a surface finish aberration with use.
So far so good.

Steve,

Good to hear (no pun intended). That was certainly an interesting fix you did to the gear.

Ed
Thanks given by: stevec