sand cores

.jpg   cores.JPG (Size: 27.02 KB / Downloads: 117) A couple of cores for the last 2 fingerpost signs I'm making, the previous core was made with beach sand & John winters oil impregnated cereal binder dead easy mix 100/3 ad a bit of water ,mix then bake inthe oven@200*c this time I thought I'd make it with my own recipe.I've made them before when casting some brass gun stocks for a friend who made replica guns [30 odd yrs ago] it's 5ml boiled linseed oil,8 flat dessert spoons of sand,mixed up in a plaggy bag then 1/2 ounce of dextrin mixed with 20 ml water & add 1 flat teaspoon of bentonite[obtional] to give it a bit more green strength 'cos it's a bit fragile at this stage, then mold & bake in the oven @200*c for 11/2 -2 hrs till it darkens it's solid after that.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
The linseed oil stinks
The wife was not very impressed with me
John
Thanks given by:
(05-27-2013, 03:19 PM)doubleboost Wrote: The linseed oil stinks
John

Aye your right there John,I waited till she went to bed!!6799
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
(05-27-2013, 03:46 PM)the artfull-codger Wrote:
(05-27-2013, 03:19 PM)doubleboost Wrote: The linseed oil stinks
John

Aye your right there John,I waited till she went to bed!!6799

Yessss just cast the next fingerpost sign with the home blended core mix & it's come out good,pictures to follow,just 1 more pattern to finish & then cast it then we're finished apart from the painting & erecting in the garden & then all will be revealed!!
Graham.
Thanks given by:
Right, I'm ready 5176 Popcorn
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-01-2013, 11:37 AM)DaveH Wrote: Right, I'm ready 5176 Popcorn
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Ha Ha, it's not that fantastic Dave,don't be disappointed, just a bit of poetic licence,incidently I've just finished the last casting & I'm fettling it up then ready to paint them all, I concreted the bottom of the pole in on sunday so we're good to go when I've finished painting. Cool

Graham
Thanks given by:

.jpg   just finished last pour.JPG (Size: 23.68 KB / Downloads: 65)
Hi, just finished the last pour for the fingerpost sign[so I thought!!] anyhow petrobond sand's still smoking, note the ''usefull'' cope weights, & yes I've poured without clamping/weighting & yes it all poured out of the joint but luckily I put my size 10s on it & managed to save the day,that was quite a few years ago .
Graham.
Thanks given by:

.jpg   out of the mould.JPG (Size: 38.3 KB / Downloads: 60) Yesss, just out of the mould & a success [this time],those of you who are observant will notice in the picture with the weights on will see there's only one sprue,well I got the other castings out with one but this last one's a lump longer & I knew I was pushing it but I thought it's s++t or bust" well it poured short!! so I put a riser in the other end & it cast o-k this time!! [can't win 'em all]
Graham.
Thanks given by:
Well,finally got the fingerpost sign assembled,painted & erected in the garden,I'll take pictures this week & all will be revealed!!
Graham. [don't get too excited boys it's not that exciting!!]
Thanks given by:
The suspense is killing me Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: the artfull-codger