Drawbar Wrench/Hammer
(07-07-2013, 04:51 PM)EdK Wrote: Got some more done on the hammer. I made a stop out of some scrap aluminum to help keep the head from turning and clamped it to the vise jaw.

Ed

6799 Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by: EdK
One more piece to the puzzle done. Smiley-dancenana

Ed

Thanks given by:
I see a few machining marks on the countersunk end. Is there something wrong with your shiny camera? Big Grin

Looking good Ed!

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(07-08-2013, 07:06 PM)TomG Wrote: I see a few machining marks on the countersunk end. Is there something wrong with your shiny camera? Big Grin

Looking good Ed!

Tom

Busted! Blush

I saw those when I uploaded the picture from the camera and was tempted to chuck the piece back in the lathe and fix that but it's a part that is hidden once the hammer is assembled. I faced it via hand feed rather than power feed. That's why it looks like a screw thread.
The camera is fully functional but its operator isn't. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
It gives it that hand made rustic look Ed. I strive for the same look myself Big Grin
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nice looking project Ed!

Just make sure when it's all done, you fabricate a nice holder to put on the wall so it's always within reach and always on display!

Best Regards,
Russ
(07-14-2013, 08:30 AM)wrustle Wrote: Nice looking project Ed!

Just make sure when it's all done, you fabricate a nice holder to put on the wall so it's always within reach and always on display!

Best Regards,
Russ

Russ,

I already thought of that and designed a loop into the end of the handle so I can hang it on a hook that will be attached to the mill stand. Great minds think alike. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Smile

Ed
Thanks given by:
I got started on the hammer handle and thought I'd make a quick video of turning the 1144 steel. It turns like cast iron in that it doesn't create stringy chips but small chips. The resulting finish was pretty decent, after I installed a new insert. The old one showed a lot of galling and looking at the tip there was definitely some wear showing.
The video is showing a .020" DOC. After making the video, I tried a .025" DOC and still no stringy chips.

Not much to look at but it's good practice for making videos.

Ed

Thanks given by:
The handle is ready for the next step. I made it a press fit to the head so I can drill and tap them assembled. A long set screw will hold them together and also act as the attachment mechanism for the hammer face.

Ed

Thanks given by:
Looks good Ed.

Are you going to add a knurl so it doesn't fly out of your hand and go through a window? Slaphead

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]