setting up in the 4 jaw

Setting up a blank in the 4 jaw to turn a new connecting rod for''albert'' my 4" foster traction engine on my ''mitchell of keighley'' centre lathe,the 4 jaw chuck's 18" diameter, the lathe's 9" centre height X 50" between centres with a gap bed.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by:
Graham,

Don't leave us hanging. Show us some more pictures of that massive lathe. That lead screw looks to be about 1 TPI.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009 Smiley-signs009
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
So this would be a gap bed lathe, correct?
If it's crazy but it works, it's not crazy.
Thanks given by:
(06-28-2013, 08:57 PM)marfaguy Wrote: So this would be a gap bed lathe, correct?

That's right. Some have an insert that can be used with a smaller chuck and allow the carriage to get closer to the head. My lathe doesn't have an insert but the saddle is large enough that I can get the carriage up to the chuck.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(06-13-2013, 03:24 PM)the artfull-codger Wrote: Setting up a blank in the 4 jaw to turn a new connecting rod for''albert'' my 4" foster traction engine on my ''mitchell of keighley'' centre lathe,the 4 jaw chuck's 18" diameter, the lathe's 9" centre height X 50" between centres with a gap bed.

Hi there,  I have the exact same lathe which I am presently reconditioning.  Rare as hen's teeth!  

The brass information plate on my lathe's change gearbox is so worn that I cannot read the settings.  Is there a possibility that you could send me a close up photo of the brass information plate on your Mitchell ?

Also - the cover on the drive/driven external change gears of my lathe is missing - can you send a photo of the left end of the lathe so that I can make up something similar.

Also - do you have a manual or any other documentation ?

Would be very grateful,

Regards, PeterT
Thanks given by:
Welcome to the forum Peter!
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(10-06-2018, 02:58 AM)PeterT Wrote:
(06-13-2013, 03:24 PM)the artfull-codger Wrote: Setting up a blank in the 4 jaw to turn a new connecting rod for''albert'' my 4" foster traction engine on my ''mitchell of keighley'' centre lathe,the 4 jaw chuck's 18" diameter, the lathe's 9" centre height X 50" between centres with a gap bed.

Hi there,  I have the exact same lathe which I am presently reconditioning.  Rare as hen's teeth!  

The brass information plate on my lathe's change gearbox is so worn that I cannot read the settings.  Is there a possibility that you could send me a close up photo of the brass information plate on your Mitchell ?

Also - the cover on the drive/driven external change gears of my lathe is missing - can you send a photo of the left end of the lathe so that I can make up something similar.

Also - do you have a manual or any other documentation ?

Would be very grateful,

Regards, PeterT

Hi Peter,
 I'm sorry but I sold the lathe earlier this yr as I didn't need such a large lathe, as my colchester does all I need, It's in storage at presently I'm told, I actually sold it back to a mate who I originally bought it off if I can get to see it I'll take some photo's, there was a picture of one recently in the model engineer.
Kind Regards Graham.
the artfull-codger, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2013.
Thanks given by: