How to Wind a Coil Spring on the Metal Lathe
Yes Darren. Down would be preferable to keep the coils wound tightly together, but you probably wouldn't notice any difference unless the spring got to be very long.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I've got some music wire on the way from McMaster. I'm going to try duplicating the spring I bought for the lathe pump center I made. I'll be using the mandrel software to determine the diameter of the mandrel and see how it turns (pun intended) out.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-24-2013, 09:02 AM)EdK Wrote: I've got some music wire on the way from McMaster. I'm going to try duplicating the spring I bought for the lathe pump center I made. I'll be using the mandrel software to determine the diameter of the mandrel and see how it turns (pun intended) out.

Ed

Sounds good Ed - are you going to video the process?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-24-2013, 09:04 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(07-24-2013, 09:02 AM)EdK Wrote: I've got some music wire on the way from McMaster. I'm going to try duplicating the spring I bought for the lathe pump center I made. I'll be using the mandrel software to determine the diameter of the mandrel and see how it turns (pun intended) out.

Ed

Sounds good Ed - are you going to video the process?

Yes, I think so. It shouldn't be a "spare underwear at the ready" process. Big Grin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-24-2013, 09:08 AM)EdK Wrote: ...It shouldn't be a "spare underwear at the ready" process. Big Grin

Ed

Famous last words...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
(07-24-2013, 09:15 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(07-24-2013, 09:08 AM)EdK Wrote: ...It shouldn't be a "spare underwear at the ready" process. Big Grin

Ed

Famous last words...

Good point!
Thanks given by:
Well got the wire .162, did the mandrel size computing 1.039, but I need a little guidance on this end. Highlighted in yellow,

would be easier if I could start at this point, insert wire into hole in mandrel, then form over a welded on extension then roll the rest out over the mandrel. Sound like a plan?
I know I can not bend by hand (tried it) the other way I thought of would be to form that on the DiArco bender(sorry don't have a good pic of it) then do the rest on the lathe.
Be warned I'm not fond of loud explosions, fires, loss of limbs while working in the shop.....Sweat
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Can you form a loop that small on the DiAcro? If not, I've had good luck bending wire around dowel pins in a plate. Leave a long tail for something to hold on to and cut it off when finished. You are definitely going to have to bend that loop before forming the spring.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(07-31-2013, 12:38 PM)oldgoaly Wrote: .
Be warned I'm not fond of loud explosions, fires, loss of limbs while working in the shop.....Sweat

Wuss! RotflRotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
OK Tom, will try that 1st, it's the bigger one #3 I think. Didn't get much with it so I've made most of the inserts.

SteveC save that stuff for the hockey rink!
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by: